Established in 1970s, the Personal Assistance Station is a one-of-a-kind facility located on Wright State’s Dayton campus that provides support to students with physical disabilities. These vital services allow students with physical disabilities to attend college, develop independent living skills, and participate actively in not only academic life, but also the campus culture.
The station provides assistance to students, faculty, staff, and guests with severe physical disabilities, at no cost to the consumer. The PA station is open seven days a week during academic terms (including snow dates and holidays). The station staff provides personal assistance with:
- restroom use
- transferring in/out of mobility device
- body positioning
- assistance with coats/hats/gloves
- clothing/shoe/glasses adjustments
- assistance with adjusting bags, etc.
- daytime mobility device charging
- cleaning/wipe down of wheelchairs/scooters
- re-inflation of tires with air pump
The PA Station staff does NOT provide medical treatment of any kind.
The Personal Assistance Station (PA Station) is located in 072 Student Union.
Each of the three private restrooms are staffed by two PAs at all times and equipped with the following:
- ceiling-mounted SureHands sling lift
- various sized body slings
- bariatric changing table
- sink at ADA-approved height
- full-length mirrors
- basic personal hygiene items (paper towels, flushable wipes, feminie hygiene)
PA station is staffed by trained ODS student employees. All student PAs attend a intensive 2-day training hosted by a certified nurse. All PAs receive training on the following:
- Understanding Disabilities
- Wheelchair basics – cleaning and pumping tires for manual & power wheelchairs, and mobility scooters
- Transfer techniques & safety
- Lift use techniques
- Hygiene tips & techniques
- Skin care & hygiene
- Autonomic Dysreflexia
- Bladder/Bowel products & programs
- Disposal of trash/waste
- Emergency Situations & Response
- WSU Injury/incident reports
- Collaboration with Housing, referral to Health Services
All PAs also receive:
- Universal Precautions and Blood Borne Pathogens training
- Hepatitis B vaccine
- Background Screening
Hours for Spring 2020
- Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 9:30 a.m.- 2:30 p.m., 3:30 p.m.- 7:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, Thursday: 10:00 a.m.- 2:30 p.m., 3:30 p.m.- 7:00 p.m.
- Saturday and Sunday: 11:30 a.m.- 2:00 p.m.; 4:00 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.
Closed during Spring Break starting Saturday 2/29 and will reopen Sunday 3/8 at 4:30 p.m.