Office of Disability Services (ODS)

Disability-Related Courses

The university offers courses designed to meet disability-related needs and cover topics such as adjustment to college life and study and organizational strategies. All of the following courses earn graduation credit.

ED 1020: Managing Your Personal Assistance

Taught by Jen Barga each fall, this course is intended for students with physical disabilities who will be employing personal assistants. Topics covered include how to recruit, interview, hire, schedule, and manage personal assistants.

ED 1040: Foundations in Learning

Taught by staff members from the Office of Disability Services, ED 1040 is a 2-credit hour course for students with ADHD or a learning disability who are in their first semester of college. ED 1040 is designed to introduce students to habits and skills needed for a successful transition to college, based on the philosophy of self-determination. The course will orient students to a culture of goal-setting, strategic learning, self-advocacy, and metacognition (awareness and understanding of one's own thought processes). These goals are achieved through a highly interactive, hands-on curriculum. Students will also learn about the laws that protect individuals with learning disabilities and will develop their own voices to appropriately advocate for themselves in academic settings.

ED 1040 gives students the opportunity to develop personal and academic survival skills, such as:

  • understanding personal learning style
  • time management
  • goal setting
  • self-advocacy
  • reading & writing strategies
  • test-taking skills
  • accessing and utilizing campus resources
  • seeking out and engaging in involvement opportunities

Questions about ED 1040?
Contact Jen Barga at or Jason Gepperth at

Register for these courses through your WINGS Express registration, as you would for any other course. If you have any questions about ODS classes, please contact the Office of Disability Services. If you have questions about registration, please contact your academic advisor or the Registrar.