Counseling and Wellness

Trans Student Support

If you are seeking gender affirming services (hormones, surgery) and/or are in need of supportive documentation (i.e., BMV gender marker change) from a therapist at Counseling and Wellness Services (CWS), we are happy to help. The first step in the process is to attend one of our Evaluation for Services meetings, offered on a walk-in basis. If you are already receiving services at CWS, please speak to your current provider about how we can help.

Providers at CWS use the World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) Standards of Care as a guide to the care you receive. Eligibility criteria exist for those individuals who wish to pursue hormone therapy and/or surgical procedures. Those criteria are as follows:

  1. Persistent, well-documented gender dysphoria;
  2. Capacity to make a fully informed decision and to consent for treatment;
  3. Age of majority in a given country (typically 18 in the USA); and
  4. If significant medical or mental health concerns are present, they must be reasonably well-controlled.

Everyone’s needs are different and each situation is unique. Your CWS provider can talk with you about the general standards of care as identified by WPATH as well as your provider’s approach to documenting “dysphoria” and what it means for your care. When your provider meets with you, they will gather information about your gender and sexual identity history, your overall mental health history, and provide information about the options available and process moving forward. Because each person’s situation is unique, we cannot specify how quickly letters/documentation may be provided. Please discuss any concerns you may have about the process or the time line with your provider as we value open communication and want to facilitate the process as best as possible for you.

Please note that electronic paperwork requires students to enter their current legal name for electronic paperwork to be entered into our record system. All clients of CWS are encouraged to input their Chosen Name and Pronouns for all other interactions with our office.

CWS does not currently prescribe hormones. Our providers will help get you connected to medical resources in the community. Referrals to some medical providers (i.e., Wright State Physicians) may occur through a “check in” at Student Health Services (SHS) and indicating “referral needed” on their paperwork. Student health insurance currently does provide coverage for hormone therapy. For questions about student health insurance, please see staff in the insurance office, located next to SHS.

Therapy can be an important source of support as you balance being a student with all the other roles and responsibilities you may have in your life. These areas can be sources of great strength; you may also experience conflicting demands and expectations in these roles. Maintaining your emotional well-being is important. CWS offers individual and group therapy in addition to testing services and psychiatric appointments.

Please come by the office (053 Student Union); call us at 937-775-3407; or visit our homepage for more information.

Additional resources that could be helpful:

  • Raider Cares: 937-775-4567
  • Trevor Line: 866-488-7386
  • Trans Life Line: 877-565-8860

Related Links


[Thank you to the University of Oregon Counseling Center and Washington University of St. Louis Mental Health Services for permission to adapt materials for this purpose.]