Learn about Student Employment rules, policies and procedures.

Student Employment Eligibility

All undergraduate students must register and attend classes for a minimum of 6 credit hours during each semester that they work.

Graduate students must register for a minimum of 3 credit hours during each semester that they work.

Both undergraduate and graduate students may work during breaks if they are registered for the semester immediately following the break.

Graduate Students with an active Graduate Assistantship through the Graduate School are NOT eligible for Student Employment.

Both undergraduate and graduate students may work Summer semester without being registered for the minimum number of credit hours indicated above, if and only if, they are pre-registered for Fall semester. This option is also at the discretion of the supervisor, as it requires an additional contribution to the state retirement system. However, student's wishing to use Federal Work-Study must be registered for the minimum number of credit hours above, during each semester they work, including Summer semester.

Maximum Working Hours

Students may work a maximum of 28 hours per week for all jobs combined.

Exceptions to Working Hours Policy

  1. Students using Federal Work-Study in an off-campus tutoring program may only work 20 hours per week.
  2. International students may work 20 hours a week while school is in session and during exam weeks. International students may work 28 hours per week during academic semester breaks (fall holiday break and spring break) if they are pre-registered for the required hours for the upcoming semester immediately after the break.

Additional International Student Regulations

International students who are registered as full time students at any time may never exceed 20 hours per week, per immigration regulations [8 C.F.R. § 214.2(f) (9) (i)]. International students who exceed the maximum allowable work hours more than once, will be terminated immediately from all Student Employment positions and will remain terminated for a period of time, often 10 weeks or more, or terminated permanently, based on UCIE determination.

International students are allowed to take their official break during any semester (does not have to be summer). This official break must be approved by the University Center of International Education (UCIE) . Then, to be eligible for student employment the student must bring to Career Services the F1 or J1 Reduction Course load Certification given to them by UCIE.

Chart of Student Employment Work Hours

Student Employment Work Hours Summation Chart

Student Type

Academic Year


Exam Week During Academic Year

Breaks (Holiday, Spring)

UCIE Official Break

Domestic Students

28 hours

28 hours

28 hours

28 hours if pre-registered for following semester

not applicable

International Students

20 hours

20 hours if full-time student;
28 hours if part-time student;
28 hours if 0 credit hours but registered for fall

20 hours

28 hours if pre-registered for following semester

28 hours

Types of Employment

Regular Student Employment

Students are employed on campus and the employer bears 100% of the cost of the student's wages.

Federal Work-Study Employment

The Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a federally funded student employment program. The federal support provides for 75% of the student's gross wages, while the employing department pays the remaining 25%. Eligibility to participate in the Federal Work Study Program is based on the student's financial need.

Reading Tutor Program

Qualifying literacy programs such as after-school programs in elementary schools receive Federal support for 100% of the student's wages. Students must have received Federal Work-Study to participate in this program.

JLD Program

The Job Location and Development (JLD) Program provides off-campus, part-time job opportunities for students. Jobs in private homes are not accepted in this program.

Federal Work-Study

Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a part of the student's financial aid package. If a student has been granted an award, Federal Work-Study will subsidize 75% of the student's wages. Hiring departments are charged for 25% of the wages. A student may only use his or her Work-Study award toward one job at a time.

Some departments will only hire students who have FWS awards. Those positions are identified in the job postings in The Wright Search, on the Career Services website.

As a courtesy Student Employment will monitor the student's FWS award and, when possible, will notify the employer and the student employee prior to the award being exhausted. If the department wishes to retain the student once the award is exhausted, the student may be placed in "regular" status (the department is then charged for 100% of the student's wages). Employers must notify Student Employment in writing of their intention to convert a student from FWS to regular. Include the department name, organization and fund codes, name of student, and the student's social security number or UID in your communication.

If the employer does not have the resources to pay 100% of the student's wages, they are not obligated to continue to employ the student in a regular status.

Students wishing to use Federal Work-Study during Summer must be registered for a minimum of 6 credits as an undergraduate student or 4 credit hours as a graduate student. All questions regarding FWS awards should be directed to the Financial Aid Office, 136 Student Union, (937) 775-5721.

Calculating FWS Student Work Hours

To determine the number of hours a student can work per pay period for a specific length of time without going over the total award amount, do the following calculation:

Total FWS award / rate of pay / pay periods expected to work = hours the student can work in one pay period.

Example: $2500/ $7.95 / 18 pay periods = 17 hours the student can work in one pay period (two weeks) without going over the total award granted.

To determine the number of pay periods a student can work with a desired number of work hours per week without going over the total award amount, do the following calculation:

Total FWS award / rate of pay / desired work hours per pay period (two weeks) = number of pay periods student can work before exhausting award.

Example: $2500 / $7.95 / 40 hours per pay period (20 hours per week) =  7 pay periods (14 weeks) the student can work using Federal Work-Study.

There are 18 pay periods in the academic year, including fall and spring breaks, and 26 pay periods in the entire year if including summer.

Hiring Process

Student Employment must approve and advertise a student employment job before a student employee may begin working. Affirmative Action requires that each job be posted for five (5) working days before a hiring decision can be made.

Steps for hiring a student employee

Submit Position Description

Supervisors seeking to fill positions must first ensure that they have a current job description on file with the Student Employment office.

If Student Employment does not have a current job description on file, a Position Description form must be submitted to Student Employment to be properly classified.

Advertise Position

First Steps if you don’t know your password:

  1. Visit our website: http://career.wright.edu
  2. Under The Wright Search heading on the right side of the screen, select the Employers button (be sure to allow pop ups or the website will not work correctly)
  3. Select the Forgot Your Password link
  4. Enter your WSU e-mail address then select Reset Password
  5. The system will generate a password and e-mail it to you, but you will have the option to change it in the Wright Search under My Profile
  6. If the system does not recognize your e-mail, you will have to e-mail Kim Gilliam at kim.gilliam@wright.edu or call x2556 to have your account created

How to Post an Existing Job:

  1. The job must have been approved by Student Employment, meaning the pay class and rate have been assigned. If this has not happened then see the How to Post a Brand New Job section below.
  2. To post a job: After logging into the Wright Search, go to the Jobs tab at the top of the page. You will be able to view your previous job postings (Job List) or create a new job posting (New Job).
  3. Under Job List, if your job is still active, you will be able to edit it. If your job is inactive, you will not be able to edit the posting. However, you can copy your previous information and paste it in a New Job form.
  4. After you complete your Job Posting and select Save, a notice will be sent to Student Employment for approval. Student Employment will approve your job if all information is accurate, if we find errors (e.g. wrong pay rate) we will correct them or contact you.

Posting Tips:

  • Position Type should be SE on campus regular, SE on campus work study, or both
  • Compensation Range – please use hourly wage (e.g. $7.95) if you know them
  • Add the Student Employment Application link under Application Instructions, if you require it of your job candidates: http://www.wright.edu/sites/default/files/page/attachements/application.pdf
  • Expiration Date: the job must be posted/active for a minimum of 5 days and no more than 3 months

Student Employment operates a self-referral system. Students contact hiring departments directly to apply for positions that are advertised.

Hiring departments may require candidates to complete the Student Employment Application, the department’s own application, or to submit résumés to review candidate qualifications.

If the Student Employment Application is used, hiring officials need to be aware that the application includes a question about felony convictions. All questions on the application should be completed by the candidate. If all questions are not completed, it is recommended by the office of Human Resources that the application be considered incomplete and not viable.

If a candidate has marked Yes on the felony conviction question and is the candidate of choice, Human Resources recommends that a conditional offer be made to the student until a background check is completed. If a conditional offer of employment is made, the student is not permitted to work until the background check is complete. Complete the forms for the Background Screening Request.

Forward the completed Background Screening Request forms to Tamara Jones in Human Resources. Human Resources will receive the results of the background check and advise the hiring official on the pending offer.

Submit paperwork to Student Employment

To have an electronic time card available for the pay period, all paperwork must be submitted to Student Employment before 3:30 p.m. on the second Monday of the pay period. Since time sheets are due on the Friday of the second week of the pay period, Student Employment requires the remainder of that week to ensure that students are entered into Banner and that electronic time sheets are available to submit by the payroll deadline.

VERY IMPORTANT: A student employee should NEVER begin working until a Student Employment Hiring Packet of required forms has been submitted to Career Services; this is a federal policy. A student is not officially authorized to work until Student Employment receives and approves all employment forms. Therefore, a student should not submit paperwork and expect that a time sheet is available to record hours already worked.

Supervisors who hire several students at one time may make special arrangements for a group processing session by contacting Student Employment at (937) 775-2556.

Download Student Employment Hiring Packet ›

Job Classifications

The University has established a pay structure for student employees as of 08/2/2014:

BASIC LEVEL Basic Student Worker 1 $8.10-$10.00
Selection Criteria:
Minimal (if any) prior knowledge or training required
Training provided
Routine responsibilities
Follow well-defined policies and procedures
May have access to confidential information
Independent judgment is limitedClose and direct supervision
Intermediate Level Intermediate Student Worker 2 $10.01-$14.00
Selection Criteria:
Prior relevant course and/or work experience required
Assignments require special knowledge or skills
Technical or research skills may be required
May have supervision responsibilities on a limited scope
May have access to confidential information
Some independent judgment
Moderate supervision provided
May required a significant amount of physical exertion, adverse hours, or working conditions
Advanced Level Advanced Student Worker 3 $14.01-$20.00
Selection Criteria:

Requires specific and unique competitive job market skills
Completion of specific relevant courses and/or work experience required
Assignments require advanced knowledge, skills or abilities
Demonstrated ability to perform the job duties
May serve as a leader or trainer to student staff
May have access to confidential information
Independent judgment and decision-making; makes formal recommendations
Limited supervision provided; seeks guidance as necessary
Extensive problem solving skills
Highly Specialized Level Highly Specialized Student Worker 4 $20.01+
Selection Criteria:

Reserved for highly specialized, technical, or scientific positions
Graduate student with earned Bachelor degree or 3rd or 4th year undergraduate student with significant equivalent experience with substantially relevant skills required
Completion of specific relevant courses and/or work experience required
Demonstrated ability to perform the job duties
May supervise projects and/or other student staff
Independent judgment; makes formal recommendations; uses high level decision-making
Performs complex data analysis and decision-making in design, experimentation, and construction
High levels of confidentiality
Interpretation of complex policies and procedures
Advanced written and oral communication skills
Supervision provided as needed
How to Determine a Specific Pay Rate

In addition to the job class criteria above, supervisors determining specific pay rates within a class may consider:
History of work experience in the department
Number of courses completed that relate to the position
Prior related experience
Range and complexity of responsibilities/duties
Specific knowledge and skill requirements


Time Sheets and Pay Advices

Students are paid bi-weekly. Pay periods begin on Saturday and end on Friday.

Know the Pay Period Schedule »

Electronic time sheets are completed and submitted online in WINGS Express.

The Payroll Department requires all student employees to use online time entry, or may use paper time cards, only if the Payroll Department or Student Employment grants an exception.

A Web Time Entry Video, provided by CaTS, is available to train supervisors and student employees on the process of electronically entering time worked.

Cats also provides a video training to teach student employees how to print their pay stub.

View Print Pay Stub Video »

Students are required to set up direct deposit when they are initially hired. Pay remittance advices are available online in WINGS Express. Students log on to the secure website by using the assigned U-ID number and pin. Students can obtain help accessing this site from the CaTS Help Desk, (937) 775-4827.

Break & Meal Times

A student who is scheduled to work a 4 hour to 6 hour shift should get a 15 minute paid break per shift. Any student who is scheduled to work more than 6 continuous hours but less than 7 continuous hours is entitled to one 15 minute paid break and a 30 minute unpaid meal break. A student scheduled to work over 7 continuous hours is entitled to two 15 minute paid breaks and a 30 minute unpaid meal break.

Breaks are scheduled by the supervisor to maintain efficiency of the work unit. Breaks must be preceded and followed by work and should not be used to cover a student's late arrival or early departure. Time designated for rest periods cannot be accumulated. In some instances, by agreement, supervisors may permit student employees to combine their paid breaks with their unpaid lunch periods. This practice is acceptable as long as it does not interfere with efficiency or result in fatigue for individuals whose work is excessively strenuous, dirty, dusty, hot or cold. When these conditions exist, a break is essential.

When using Web time entry, students are required to enter a work beginning time and a work ending time (time in and time out). A student taking a paid break should not 'time out.' Students must 'time out' for any unpaid breaks in their work schedule.


The employing department is responsible for providing student employees with the safety training necessary to ensure that the employee is able to perform the job in a safe manner. Supervisors should refer to the Wright Way Policies and Procedures Manual to become familiar with safety policies. All required personal protective equipment must be provided to the student employee by the employer.

Review Wright Way Policy 6032 - Reporting Injuries and Illnesses »

Responsibilities of the Student Employee

  • To process all required hiring forms with Student Employment before beginning work.
  • To maintain enrollment necessary for student employment eligibility.
  • To notify the employer immediately of any adjustment in a Federal Work-Study (FWS) award.
  • To report to work promptly and perform assigned duties in a satisfactory manner.
  • To notify the employer as soon as possible of necessary work schedule changes. Projects and examinations sometimes necessitate adjustments.
  • To submit correct payroll information to the supervisor by the stated deadlines. Keep an accurate record of hours worked.
  • To notify Student Employment of any changes to taxes or direct deposit information.
  • To keep supervisor aware of changes to address and phone number.
  • To inform the supervisor of any plans to end employment. The customary notification time period is two weeks.
  • To maintain appropriate dress and personal hygiene.

Responsibilities of the Supervisor

  • To develop accurate and useful job descriptions of all positions.
  • To provide the student with all the necessary paperwork for payroll processing.
  • Ensure that the student visits the Student Employment office for processing before he/she begins work.
  • To provide specific training in those areas listed on the job description.
  • To set up a work schedule, preferably in writing, for the student.
  • To review all department policies with the student, including discipline procedures.
  • To be available and encourage the student to ask questions.
  • To see that time sheets are submitted according to deadlines established by the Pay Period Schedule provided by Student Employment.
  • To establish and review expected and appropriate dress, behavior, use of university and office resources, and standard operating procedures with the student.

Rehiring Student Employees

Summer Rehire

The Process and Student Eligibility

Supervisors of all current student employees who will be working during summer semester will need to complete a new authorization form for each student. 

Students must submit the authorization form in person to the Career Services office so that Student Employment can confirm the student's course enrollment, status for OPERS enrollment or exemption, and Federal Work-Study status.

All paperwork must be submitted no later than 3:30 p.m. on the Monday before time sheets are due to ensure that a time sheet is up and ready before it must be submitted. 

Authorization forms will not be accepted by mail except from Lake Campus. 

Summer Ohio Public Employees Retirement System (OPERS)

Student employees may be exempt from OPERS during the summer semester if undergraduate students are registered for a minimum of 6 credit hours and graduate students are registered for a minimum of 4 credit hours.

Students falling below the minimum credit hour requirement during the semester will immediately be enrolled in OPERS .

Student employees must contribute to OPERS during summer semester if they are not registered for the minimum number of credit hours for the semester.

Summer Use of Work-Study Award

Student employees wanting to use Work-Study funds during summer employment must accept the Federal Work-Study award by their summer employment start date. 

A student employee must be registered for 6 credit hours as an undergraduate student or 4 credit hours as a graduate student for the summer semester in order to use his/her Federal Work-Study award during the summer.

Fall Rehire

The Process and Student Eligibility

In the middle of summer semester, Student Employment will send supervisors a blank fall rehire form to complete, identifying all the student employees who will be rehired with the start of fall semester. Students whose names are submitted on a fall rehire form do not have to bring an Authorization Form to Student Employment.

For students to be eligible to be processed as a fall rehire student employee, students must be registered for fall semester classes by July 1, meet the minimum required number of credit hours, and if offered Federal Work-Study in the Financial Aid package have accepted or declined their award. Any student on the Fall Rehire form who has not pre-registered for fall semester classes by July 1, who will be employed for fall semester must submit a Student Employment Authorization form in person.

Ohio Public Employees Retirement System (OPERS)

Section 145.03, Ohio Revised Code, states that students who are employed with the school, college, or university where they are enrolled and regularly attending classes may choose to be exempt from the Ohio Public Employees Retirement System of Ohio by signing a Request For Optional Exemption As A Student (F-3) within the first month of employment and filing the Request with OPERS. An exemption will remain valid as long as the student continues to be employed by and attending the school which certifies the F-3; changing positions or departments within the institution does not affect the exemption.

The language found in Section 145.03 Ohio Revised Code, is intended to parallel the exemption for students found in the Internal Revenue Code for Social Security purposes. There should never be a situation in which a student exempted from OPERS membership would be subject to Social Security coverage. If a student who meets the student exemption requirement is working for a school, college or university, the student will contribute to neither OPERS nor to Social Security. If OPERS requirements are not met, the student must contribute to OPERS, not to Social Security.

To maintain OPERS exemption status during summer semester, student employees must be enrolled for 6 hours at the undergraduate level, or be enrolled for 4 hours at the graduate level. Students may work during summer semester if they are not enrolled for classes; however, this option is at the discretion of the supervisor, as it requires contributions to OPERS by the department as well as by the student employee. Student employees who need to enroll in OPERS for summer semester should visit the Student Employment Office prior to the beginning of summer semester to complete the necessary forms.

A student may receive a refund from OPERS if: three months have passed from the end of contributing service; the student has not returned to contributing service; and they are not members of State Teachers Retirement System or School Employees Retirement System.

Student Employment Budgetary Accounts

Organization and fund codes to which student employee wages are to be allocated must be documented on each Student Employment Authorization form.

Student Employment Authorization forms submitted without the organization and fund codes cannot be accepted or processed by the student employment staff.

A request to transfer a student employee from one organization and fund code to another must be submitted in writing to the Student Employment Office. It is the responsibility of the department representative to notify the student employment staff of an organization and fund code termination at least one month prior to the account's termination. Lack of notification may result in incorrect allocation of student wages.

Student Employee Evaluations

Student employees should be evaluated by the student's immediate supervisor at least once a year. The evaluation form should be signed by both the student and the supervisor. A copy of the evaluation form may be submitted to the Student Employment Office to be placed in the student's file. A generic evaluation form is available in Career Services; however, departments may design forms specific to their students' positions.

Student Employment Evaluation Form (PDF) ›

Resignations, Unsatisfactory Job Performance, & Terminations

When a student finds it necessary to resign or otherwise terminate employment, the student should notify the supervisor or department head as early as possible, but preferably no later than two weeks prior to the last date of work. An exit interview between the employee and the supervisor may prove helpful to both parties.

The supervisor is encouraged to provide frequent opportunities for meaningful feedback about the student employee's performance with ample opportunity for the student to correct any performance that falls below department standards. In the case of a flagrant violation of university rules, such as dishonesty, insubordination, rude or discourteous treatment of the public, or under other mitigating circumstances, the student may be terminated immediately.

In All Cases of Termination
Student Employment must be notified immediately in writing.

This can be accomplished in one of two ways:

  1. Complete a Student Employment Termination Notice obtained from Career Services:
    Student Employment Termination Form (PDF)
  2. Send email to connie.nunamaker@wright.edu with the student's name, social security number or UID, organization and fund codes, and effective date.

Automatic Termination

A student employee who appears in the supervisor's time sheet list but who either does not submit a time sheet or does not receive pay during the semester will be automatically terminated. To be rehired, the student will need to bring a completed Student Employment Work Authorization Form to Student Employment for processing.

Grievance Procedures

When there is a disagreement between employer and student employee concerning employment, prompt and judicious action is necessary. Accordingly, the time limits outlined below for the processing of grievances are extremely important. The grievance procedure provides for a three-step plan utilizing established administrative levels. All university affirmative action policies and procedures are applicable.

Informal Meeting

The grievance is handled informally between the student employee and the supervisor. A meeting of both parties should be arranged to discuss the problem.

Appeal in Writing

If not resolved in Step 1, the dissatisfied party may appeal the decision to the administrative head of the employer. The grievance must be put in writing. The administrative head will investigate the allegations and will answer the dissatisfied party in writing within ten working days of receipt of the grievance.

Grievance Committee Hearing

If the grievance is not resolved in Step 2, a formal written request for a Grievance Committee hearing should be made to the Student Employment Manager indicating why the written answer of the administrative head was unsatisfactory.

Within ten working days of receipt of the written grievance, the Student Employment Manager will schedule a meeting of the Grievance Committee. The Grievance Committee will consist of three members: two members will be chosen by the dissatisfied party from a list of volunteers from the university community and the third member, a moderator, will be the Student Employment Manager or their representative.

The Grievance Committee will investigate the allegations and make its recommendation, in writing, to the Student Employment Manager. A majority decision by the Grievance Committee will constitute the recommendation of the Grievance Committee to the Student Employment Manager.

The Director of Career Services in cooperation with the Student Employment Manager will render a final decision of the grievance, in writing, to the dissatisfied party. This decision will be made within ten working days of receipt of the recommendation of the Grievance Committee.

Affirmative Action

As a public educational institution, Wright State University is determined to establish and maintain an environment of academic excellence. Implicit in that determination is the recognition that all members of the university community must have an equal opportunity to develop and utilize their full potential. Accordingly, it is the university's policy to provide equal opportunity to all employees, students, and applicants for employment or admission, without regard to their race, sex, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.

For more information:

Visit Affirmative Action Office »

Review Wright Way Policy 4001.02 - Equal Educational and Employment Opportunity Policies and Affirmative Action Plan »

Sick, Vacation, Holiday Pay, Unemployment Compensation

Student employees are not entitled to sick, vacation, or holiday pay. If a student works on a holiday, the student will receive the usual hourly rate for all hours worked.

According to Ohio Revised Code 4141, student employment is not considered employment for the purposes of unemployment compensation eligibility.

Military Service

Student employees who are members of the Ohio National Guard, or any other reserve component of the United States Armed Forces, or who are involuntarily ordered to extended U.S. military service shall be granted leave without pay. The student employee is required to submit to their supervisor a copy of military orders or other statement in writing from the appropriate military authority in evidence of the call for training or duty. The student employee shall be returned to their former position upon re-registration as a student.

Jury Duty

A student employee may be summoned for jury duty or to serve as a witness. Time spent by a student employee for jury duty or serving as a witness will be treated as an excused absence without pay.