WHAT IS IT?
What is it?
Drum and Bass, commonly abbreviated Drum n Bass, DnB, or dnb, is a style of Electronica, a subgenre, to be specific. It is identified by its fast tempo (174 BPM, or beats per minute), use of breakbeats, and a prominent bassline. Drum and Bass is generally very energetic and dancefloor-oriented, by virtue of the tempo.
Terms To Know, If You're New
- Producers - the equivalent of Artists.
- Record labels - the guys that give you monies. Big ones to know are Hospital Records and Metalheadz, along with smaller labels like Spearhead Recordings, Life Recordings, and Allsorts
- Drop - The point in the song that introduces the "refrain". In most dnb, there is a considerable buildup to the Drop, and now and then you'll encounter multiple Drops.
- Mixing - This is the DJ's job. Generally accomplished by two vinyl decks and a mixer device (see the site banner!) to "mix" the two songs being played back. Good DJ's can create entirely new, awesome sounds out of two different tracks with this method.
Prominent Artists (at least, my list of them)
- PENDULUM (Warner Records)
- LONDON ELEKTRICITY (Hospital Records)
- DANNY BYRD (Hospital Records)
- NETSKY (Hospital Records)
- MELO (Unsigned)
Some Tunes to Get You Started
Go check out the Archive Section for an introduction to Drum And Bass Music
HTML and CSS content is Copyright 2010, Matthew Gaier