Ask Wright State

Have a question about Wright State?

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What honors courses will apply toward an honors degree designation at Wright State?

    Most honors courses taken in an honors program/college that is a member institution of the National Collegiate Honors Council (NCHC) will count toward an honors degree designation at Wright State. See an advisor in the Honors Program to have your honors coursework evaluated.

  • What are "U" ID and "W" ID?

    "U" ID is your university ID, a unique identification number for each student at Wright State and is used in place for your social security number. WINGS Express (, which is an online tool to conduct numerous activities like registering for courses, running DARS audits, checking your grades, paying for your education, etc., that require your "U" ID.  You will also need this when you call different offices to discuss your data, account, and application status. "W" ID is your campus account, another key ID which is required to log into your email account through WINGS ( and accessing computers on campus (in computer labs). Once you fill out and submit your admissions application form, you will be notified by mail of the two ID's. When you have trouble accessing your accounts (such as when you forget your password), CaTS Help Desk's information is good to know, (937) 775-4827.

  • How could I register for (a) summer course(s) at Wright State?

    Course descriptions are available online at If you are going to take a course here at Wright State as a transient/non-degree seeking student, you will need to fill out a non-degree form (PDF) and either submit it to the Registrar's Office by mail or fax or take it to Raider Connect in the Student Union. Non-degree students are ineligible for federal and state financial aid.

  • Who evaluates transfer credits?

    The Office of the Registrar evaluates all transfer credits and posts qualified credit to a student's record. Once your courses are posted, you will be able to review them on your DARS report or your unofficial transcript through WINGS Express. You will need to log in with your University ID (UID) number and password, which you will receive after applying to Wright State. If you have questions about how your transfer credits apply to your major, contact your academic advisor.

  • Does my GPA from another school transfer to Wright State?

    Only your credits from another school will transfer to Wright State, not your GPA. However, academic honors are based on meeting the minimum honors GPA requirement for work attempted at Wright State, as well as for all transfer college work attempted. In calculating cumulative GPAs for the purpose of graduating with honors, only the first grade earned for a course will be counted. This recalculation of the GPA may result in the loss of honors status at graduation.  Also, some academic majors will calculate your transfer GPA to determine acceptance into that major.

  • Which math course should I register for?

    If you took a math course at another institution and that course was transferred in as a directly equivalent course, you would register for the next course in the sequence.

    If your course at another school didn't have a direct equivalency at Wright State, discuss the credit evaluation process with your academic advisor. On the other hand, if you haven't taken a math class in over two years or at all, you will need to take the math placement exam to determine the proper level. Visit the Placement Testing website for more information.

  • How do I find course equivalencies for my transfer courses?

    You can use the Transferology site to find established course equivalencies. If your transfer credits have not been evaluated, you will need to speak to an academic advisor who will facilitate transfer course evaluations.

  • What religion courses are being accepted at Wright State?

    Religion courses taught by any institutions other than state colleges and universities must be approved by the Religion Department before transfer credit is granted.

  • How do I get credits for CCP (formerly PSEO) courses?

    Once you are admitted to Wright State and send an official college transcript from the school where you took the CCP/PSEO courses, you will be able to see those credits on your DARS report and your unofficial trasncript in WINGS Express.

  • How do I get my transfer courses reviewed?

    Meet with your academic advisor at Wright State. If your courses have not been evaluated previously, print out the catalog descriptions of your courses and bring a syllabus to your advisor, who will then request that the appropriate departments evaluate your courses.

  • Why didn't some credits transfer?

    In many cases, they did transfer, but didn't have any Wright State equivalents. "Transfer" simply means your credits will be accepted at Wright State. "Applicability" refers to your credits being used toward your degree program.

  • How do I find course descriptions?

    Course descriptions are available online at If you are going to take a course here at Wright State as a transient/non-degree seeking student, you will need to fill out a non-degree form and submit it to the Registrar's Office by mail or fax.

  • How do I apply my credits to a major?

    Consult with your academic advisor to find out how your transfer credits apply to your intended major.

  • Does my course from Wright State transfer to another school?

    Each institution has its own transfer policy, so contact the school that you are transferring to for more information. Wright State University is regionally accredited by North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.

  • Is there a limit on the number of transfer credits?

    No. However, all students must meet the minimum residency requirements in order to receive a degree from Wright State. Consult an advisor or the catalog for more information.

  • Is there an age limit on transfer credit?

    There is no age limit. However, some majors have a time limit on major-related courses. Consult with your academic advisor about the applicability of your courses.

  • What are the admission criteria?

    Transfer applicants who are planning on attending Dayton Campus should have a minimum GPA of 2.0; however, our more competitive baccalaureate programs require a higher GPA, specific prerequisites, and more. Applicants must also be in good standing at their previous institution. Check out specific entrance requirements for individual programs. For a complete list of application requirements, visit the Undergraduate Admissions website.

  • How do I convert my quarter hours to semester hours?

    To convert quarter hours to semester hours, simply multiply each credit hour of the quarter course by 2/3. For example, 3 quarter hours will transfer in as 2 semester hours at Wright State.

  • What grade do I need in order to transfer my courses to Wright State?

    Beginning Fall 2005, a grade of D or higher earned from any regionally accredited institution will transfer. However, transfer students must meet all Wright State requirements, including minimum course grades and GPA, for entrance to particular majors and programs. Transfer students who must repeat courses to meet these requirements will follow the same rules for repeating courses as students who begin at Wright State.

    Students who completed courses before Fall 2005 with a grade of D may request that credits be posted for those courses. However, grades of D will be posted automatically for students who have earned an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree from an Ohio public institution before Fall 2005. Forms for submitting these requests are available on the Raider Connect web site.

  • What military credit will transfer to Wright State?

    Military credits recommended by the American Council on Education (ACE) or awarded by the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) can be transferred to Wright State. We welcome any courses taken at civilian colleges/universities as long as they are regionally accredited by one of the agencies: Middle States, New England, North Central, Northwest, Southern, and Western Associations of Colleges and Schools. Each academic department will determine how your military credits will be applied toward your major.

    To find out how to order an official transcript from them, please visit our Veteran and Military Center's page.

  • What credit will transfer to Wright State?

    Wright State University accepts credits from colleges and universities that are regionally accredited. Regionally accrediting agencies are Middle States, New England, North Central, Northwest, Southern, and Western Associations of Colleges and Schools and the American Council on Education (ACE) for military credits.