Student Legal Services

Legal Information
Housing Criminal Consumer Other Important Information

About Us
About Student Legal Services
Services Provided
Attorney Bios

Document Downloads
Contact Information
Student Legal Services Home
WSU Home

Housing Legal Information  

Your landlord must give you at least 24 hours notice before entering your apartment, unless it is an emergency or you have given them permission.

Getting Things Fixed
At the first sign of trouble, WRITE the landlord about what needs repaired, in addition to making any phone calls to maintenance. Keep a copy of your letter. Contact your county health district—Greene county: (937) 374-5600; Montgomery county: (937) 225-4395—and request an inspection for housing code violations. If problems persist, you may be able to escrow your rent with the court or terminate the lease. 
Also, check out our Tenant Letters section.

Security Deposits
Photograph/video/document your apartment on the first day you move in and on the last day you're there. Clean your place before you leave. Leave your keys and a written forwarding address. Student Legal Services has provided a "fill-in the blank" forwarding address letter that you can personalize and send to your landlord.
Download your Notice of Forwarding Address (DOC) to give your landlord notice!
Your landlord has 30 days to return your security deposit after you have given the apartment back to them; at the very least, the landlord must send you a letter explaining what was done with your security deposit. You are not liable, as a tenant, for normal wear and tear!
Be prepared by downloading the Security Deposit Letter (DOC).

3640 Colonel Glenn Highway - Dayton, Ohio - 45435
Copyright Information © 2006 | Accessibility Information
Last updated: Fri. Nov-17-06, 11:01
Please send comments to:
Wright State University