State University Society of American Archivist Meeting Minutes
July 13, 2010, Group Study Room, Dunbar Library
Member Roll Call: Liz Haeuptle – President, Chris Bills – Vice President, Noel Rihm – Treasurer,
David Brownell – Secretary, Lynda Kachurek – Co-Advisor
- Item #1 – Website Updates: Lynda will look into finding the master account info for the OrgSync account so David can begin to edit. Linking SAA website to OrgSync was discussed and approved. Lynda said she will find out if she or Toni still have the master account for the SAA website, so we can make an effort to update the minutes and make the site active.
- Item #2 – Activity Research: 1) OHS - David checked the OHS calendar up to December, but there were no archives-related activities currently being planned; 2) SOA - Chris reviewed the SOA website - possible activities include the Spring Conference in Dublin, OH. Archives month is October, but there is no schedule published as of yet; 3) MAC (Midwest Archives Conference) - MAC annual conference is in St. Paul, MN, April 28-30, 2011. Toni, Chris, and Lynda are already approved to go and also to be drivers, so the conference is a real possibility. In addition, MAC is hosting their fall symposium at the Nutter Center on October 21-23; 4) SAA - Noel looked at the SAA site, but their conference is in Washington, D.C. in August 2010. Next year's conference will be held in Chicago, August 2011. She also found helpful links for resume posting, workshop hosting, and scholarships, which could be mentioned on the SAA brochure we discussed; 5) Miami Valley Roundtable - Attendance to the MVAR was discussed. Next meeting date is August 19 at the Franciscan Sisters of the Poor. Dawne said an announcement would probably be coming out in the next week or two; as soon as it does, David will forward it out. For more info, contact Rachel DeHart in the U.D. archives.
- Item #3 – Welcome Reception: Tentative date set for September 17. Lynda will check to see if her community room is available. Event registration needs to be submitted 45 days in advance, Liz said she will take care of it. Possible ways of announcing the event were discussed.
- Item #4 – Dues: All agreed dues should be collected in the Fall. Discussion of setting tentative date for mid-late October. David spoke with Dawne about sending an email to all current P.H. students to find out who is in SAA. She said this is fine, that we just need to draft the email and forward it to her, and she will send it out for us. David will draft the email and sent it to all officers for approval, and from there it will go to Dawne, then Noel can create a roster to help us keep track of who has paid.
- Item #5 – T-shirts: Check WSU website for rules regarding T-shirt design, ideas include a design contest, to be discussed further. Lynda said to check out Cafe Press for cool ideas/designs www.cafepress.com
- Item #6 – S.G.A. - In order to receive S.G.A. funding as well as permission to participate in activities like May Daze, SAA must send a rep to at least 3 SGA meetings this year. Chris volunteered to be our representative. The first meeting is September 9 in E163, Student Union.
- Item #7 - Archives Tour - Liz brought up the idea of having a group tour of local archival and records institutions; some of the possibilities included the U.D. Archives, N.C.R., Five Rivers, Air Force Museum, WSU, Greene Co., Montgomery Co., Dayton Public Library, and the Marianists Archives located on U.D.'s campus.
- Item #8 - SAA Promotion - A number of ideas were put on the table regarding getting the work out about SAA and the welcome event. These included:
- sending an SAA rep to the Intro to Public History class on Sept. 7, and Intro to Archives class on Sept. 8, the first day of each class
- revamping of the old SAA brochure/membership application
- sending out an email to all new students a week prior to the Welcome Event, inviting them to attend, and perhaps including SAA information, or attaching a copy of the brochure
- Item #9 - Calendar - Important upcoming events:
- SAA meeting - August 2, 2010, 4pm in the Group Study Area, Dunbar Library
- SGA meeting - September 9, 2010, 5pm in E163 Student Union
- Welcome Reception - tentative date set for September 17, 2010, at the Greene
- MAC Symposium - October 21-23, 2010, Nutter Center