Math placement is determined by your math placement level. The courses you need will be determined based on your intended major. Ask your academic advisor which mathematics course choices are right for you. Find your advisor.
To learn what your math placement level is, please use the information below.
- HS Calculus with C or higher or
- HS Pre-Calculus or HS Trigonometry with B or higher or
- ACT Math 27 or above or
- SAT Math 640 or above or
- ALEKS 76 or above
- HS Pre-Calculus/Trigonometry with C or
- ACT Math 25-26 or
- SAT Math 600-639 or
- ALEKS 61-75
- HS Algebra 2 with B or higher or
- ACT Math 22-24 or
- SAT Math 550-599 or
- ALEKS 46-60
- Grade of “P” in DEV 0270 with 5 modules
- HS Algebra 2 with C and HS GPA 2.8+ or
- Grade of “P” in DEV 0270 with 4 modules
- HS GPA 2.8 or
- ACT Math 20-21 or
- SAT Math 510-549 or
- ALEKS 38-45
- ACT Math 17-19
- SAT Math 460-509
- ALEKS 30-37
- ACT Math 16 or below
- SAT Math 459 or below
- ALEKS 29 or below (or no ALEKS score)
Expired ACT/SAT or ALEKS scores
*MPLs of 24 and 25 are earned placements for eligible Wright State students. These levels do not apply to DEV coursework from other institutions.
Placement Scores and Transfer Credits
- Students who wish to challenge their current MPL should take Wright State’s ALEKS Math Placement Test.
- Students should not test or retest once enrolled in statistics, math, or developmental math past final drop date or after earning course letter grade.
- Transfer students who do not have transfer credit (within two years) for an equivalent Wright State math course may take the ALEKS Math Placement Test.
- ACT, SAT, and ALEKS Math Test scores are valid for two years. High school GPA and grades in high school coursework used for Multiple Measures are valid for five years. Students may use the highest valid non-expired score.
To Take Wright State’s Remote Test-From-Home ALEKS Math Placement Test
- The ALEKS Placement test must be taken in a remote test-from-home setting. Register to complete the ALEKS Placement Assessment by visiting the following link:
- Dayton and Lake Campus: Register to complete the test
- Students may retest three times within their six months of ALEKS Prep and Learning access. To retest, update online registration, and finish ≥3 hours of P&L before each allowable retest. (There is a 48-hour wait period between tests.)
Students with non-expired ACT math scores ≥ 22 or SAT math section scores ≥ 550 cannot be placed in developmental math due to state remediation-free standards.