Math placement is determined by your math placement level. The courses you need will be determined based on your intended major. Ask your academic advisor which mathematics course choices are right for you. Find your advisor.
To learn what your math placement level is, please use the information below.
- ACT Math 27 or above
- Old SAT Math 620 or above
- New SAT Math 640 or above
- COMPASS 07
- ALEKS 76 or above
- ACT Math 25-26
- Old SAT Math 580-619
- New SAT Math 600-639
- COMPASS 05
- ALEKS 61-75
- ACT Math 22-24
- Old SAT Math 520-579
- New SAT Math 550-599
- COMPASS 04
- ALEKS 46-60
- Grade of “P” in DEV 0990
- Grade of “P” in DEV 0970 with 5 modules
Grade of “P” in DEV 0970 with 4 modules
Grade of “P” in DEV 0970 with 3 modules
- ACT Math 20-21
- Old SAT Math 480-519
- New SAT Math 510-549
- COMPASS 03
- ALEKS 38-45
- ACT Math 17-19
- Old SAT Math 420-479
- New SAT Math 460-509
- COMPASS 02
- ALEKS 30-37
- ACT Math 16 or below
- Old SAT Math 419 or below
- New SAT Math 459 or below
- COMPASS 00, 01
- ALEKS 29 or below (or no ALEKS score)
Expired ACT/SAT or ALEKS scores
*MPLs of 23, 24, & 25 are earned placements for eligible Wright State University students. These levels do not apply to DEV coursework from other institutions.
Placement Scores and Transfer Credits
- Students who wish to challenge their current MPL should take Wright State’s ALEKS Math Placement Test.
- Students should not test or retest once enrolled in statistics, math, or developmental math past final drop date or after earning course letter grade.
- Transfer students who do not have transfer credit (within two years) for an equivalent Wright State math course may take the ALEKS Math Placement Test.
- Scores are valid for two years. Students may use the highest valid non-expired score.
To Take Wright State’s Proctored ALEKS Math Placement Test
- The ALEKS Placement Assessment can be scheduled at the Dayton Campus or at the Lake Campus.
- Register to complete the test at the Dayton Campus
- Lake Campus: To test in Celina, Ohio, call 419-586-0300.
- A non-refundable $25 math placement test fee will appear on an upcoming tuition statement or separate bill after initial ALEKS score posts to Wings Express Test Score screen. Students may retest three times within their six months of ALEKS Prep and Learning access at no added charge (if the test is at Wright State). To retest, update online registration, and finish ≥3 hours of P&L before each allowable retest. (There is a 48-hour wait period between tests.)
Students with non-expired ACT math scores ≥ 22 or SAT math section scores ≥ 550 cannot be placed in developmental math due to state remediation-free standards.