Summary of Position
Lead Supplemental Instruction (SI) sessions outside of class lectures; attend class lectures and take notes; promote SI among students enrolled in class; collaborate with faculty members to structure SI sessions; take session attendance; and complete SI reports.
SI Leaders must have demonstrated academic success; recommendation from a faculty member; grade of "A" or "B" in the course being considered. The cumulative GPA preferred is 3.0 or above and must not be less than 2.8. Ability to communicate effectively.
New SI Leaders must complete the hiring process and our online and in-person/live training before their term.
- Attend training and complete professional development hours each term.
- Attend all lectures.
- Find 2 common times students can meet for sessions during the first week of classes. Report the results to the SI Coordinator so she can find rooms for the sessions. Start SI sessions by the second week of classes (no sessions during finals week).
- Obtain class email lists from instructors of corresponding course so they can send out a welcome email to students and regularly remind them of SI sessions.
- Take attendance for every SI session.
- Complete and submit a "planning the session" sheet for guidance and preparation each week.
- Meet with the instructor of the course regularly.
- Maintain communication with the SI Coordinator.
SI Leaders are paid $12.00 an hour for the following:
- 2-3 hours a week for sitting in on a class
- 2 hours a week for your SI sessions
- 3 hours a week for session prep
Total hours per week = 8 hours (additional hours must be approved by SI Coordinator)
How to Apply
If you are interested in becoming an SI Leader, please complete the online application. Work study information is welcome but not required. It is required that applicants get approval from the faculty member of the class they wish to be an SI Leader. Faculty must send an approval in order for your application to be considered complete. If you have any questions about the application process or any other questions about the SI program, please contact Jennifer Lobo.