The Take Flight Leadership Retreat is a full weekend leadership experience designed to build relationships between student leaders on campus. This year, Take Flight will be held July 27 - 29, 2018, at Camp Joy in Clarksville, Ohio. The retreat will consist of interactive team building and experiential-based activities along with workshops and presentations designed to challenge and engage meaningful conversations about leadership, collaboration, programming, and shared goals. The five leadership concepts, mentioned above, are described in greater detail in Kouzes and Posner’s book, The Student Leadership Challenge. The concepts also compliment the five core values of the Wilber and Orville Wright Leadership Academy (WOWLA); authenticity, living in unity, innovation, vision, and empowerment. An overview of these principles is below:
- Model the Way
Working to live up to their organization's values at all times. Helping newer members understand the importance of the values the organization is founded upon.
- Inspire a Shared Vision
Work toward shared goals for the organization or improvement of relationships within the organization. This can also branch out to working with others who have similar organizational goals.
- Challenge the Process
Looking for innovative ways to improve the organization.
- Enable Others to Act
Actively involving others, making each person feel capable and powerful. The person does not have to be a titled leader within the organization.
- Encourage the Heart
Recognize contributions that individuals make, share in the rewards of their efforts, so leaders celebrate accomplishments.
Apply to be a Team Leader
Applications open February 12, 2018, and close on March 12, 2018. Apply on OrgSync.
- You must currently have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 as an undergraduate and 3.0 or higher as a graduate student.
- You must be a University registered student in good standing.
- Applicants must be available for a 30-minute interview during the week of March 19-23, 2018. If you have a conflict, please contact Allison Roberts in the Office of Student Activities, via phone at (937) 775-5547 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Assist the Office of Student Activities with projects and assignments relating to Take Flight Training and student leadership development.
- Attend all pre- and post-Take Flight Team Leader meetings, Take Flight Team Leader Training, and entire Take Flight Weekend (July 27-29, 2018). Total volunteer hours estimated at 40.
Apply to attend as a Participant
For additional information, please contact:
Office of Student Activities