Wright State University is about service to the community. For four consecutive years, Wright State University has been named to the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll for its support of volunteering, service-learning, and civic engagement. The Office of Student Activities encourages all students and student organizations to become involved in community service.
Participation in services initiatives helps you to connect with meaningful community service opportunities, build new service initiatives in Dayton and the surrounding area, and develop a sustained commitment to service that lasts beyond your years at Wright State University. Keeping in line with the University mission, we transform the lives of our students and the communities we serve by engaging in significant community service.
Students who perform community service gain experience by working for nonprofit or other agencies. You will get exposed issues facing our community, learn specific tasks, and get work experience before graduating from college. You will:
- engage in activities that will enhance your work skills on your résumé or graduate college applications
- meet people you wouldn't otherwise meet, which will help you in a variety of situations you may not have encountered yet
- gain skills in working with diverse individuals, which will help you in the global work environment
- obtain an understanding how various systems work and get to know people who might be able to help you get a job later
- develop a greater understanding of your community, which will help you make more informed decisions when you vote
Report Your Service Hours
To assist us in our efforts to record Wright State involvement in the community, please report your community engagement for all of the service projects for which you or your organization performs. This includes philanthropy activities as well. The report is comprehensive and the first time through it will take a bit longer, but after the first time, it is easy. Please report any community engagement/service/philanthropy after the event is over so that the information reported is always current. Thank you in advance for all you do to help Wright State University and the surrounding community.
- Make a Difference Day
- Wright Commitment
- Random Acts of Kindness Week
- We Serve U
- Volunteer Fair
Please visit the Center for Service-Learning and Civic Engagement to learn more about getting involved with the community.