August 19-23, 2018
PreFlight is a residential bridge program which has been developed with input from similarly structured events over the past eight years to provide a meaningful experience that will supply a variety of benefits including:
- Early move-in: Participants will have the ability to move into their official residence hall rooms on Sunday, August 19. This allows participants to set up early, have additional days to acclimate to their new room, and relax during the general move-in date later in the week.
- Enrollment into the College Writing Workshop: Participants will spend the mornings of Aug. 20-23 engaging with English Department instructional staff on best practices and strategies for achieving college-level writing expectations.
- Engagement in College Transition Success Programming: Students will spend the afternoons of Aug. 20-22 in sessions facilitated by Disability Services case managers, an academic adviser, a faculty member, and a Health & Wellness staff member. Sessions will cover a variety of topics including:
- Adjustment to the college environment- Participants will learn to navigate the campus and identify locations of key buildings, services, and student success resources.
- In-depth education on transitional differences between high school and college- This includes rights and responsibilities as a student with disabilities, our accommodations process, and exploration of the "unsaid" rules, behaviors, and norms of college culture.
- Personal skills development- We will engage participants in activities relating to self-advocacy, adjusting to newfound independence as a college student, and successful communication and relationship-building with different groups including roommates, classmates, faculty, and staff.
PreFlight 2018 is $400, which includes on-campus housing for the entire program, meals, and all programming sessions.
Contact Jen Barga at email@example.com or 937.775.5680.