(Graduate My Advising Plan)

Wright State University’s Pledge to Students applies to graduate students in addition to undergraduate students.

How to Create a G-MAP

The G-MAP is the official document, created by a graduate student, approved by a program director, which plots the curricular progress toward graduation for transition graduate students. Follow the steps below to create your G-MAP.

  1. Begin with the program form, transcript, and Course Planning Guide.
    Program forms can be found under the appropriate college at the Graduate Programs page.
    The Course Planning Guide can be found at the Registrar's website.
  2. With your advisor, review the courses you have taken in quarters and estimate your graduation date, had the university remained under the quarter system.
  3. Use the side-by-side program form to determine what unfulfilled course requirements remain to be taken under the semester system.
  4. Use the Course Planning Guide to determine when the necessary courses will be offered.
  5. List the remaining courses in the grid on the G-MAP Form and Instructions. The graduation date should be in the same time frame as it would have been, had the university remained under the quarter system.
  6. The program director and student should sign and date the G-MAP.
  7. The program director should keep a copy. The student should keep a copy. One copy should be forwarded to the Graduate School.

Download the G-MAP Form and Instructions (PDF).

What is a G-MAP?

A graduate student’s G-MAP will define his or her specific path that leads to the completion of his or her degree. The university will provide course transition information, scheduling support, and academic advising for each student to create a G-MAP. The G-MAP will be jointly created and agreed upon by both the student and his or her assigned academic advisor.

In order to assist transition students through the semester conversion process, the university will provide an assigned advisor so that each student can develop a G-MAP that includes quarter courses and their equivalent semester courses, and defines an equivalent timeline for graduation and degree completion. In many cases, this advisor will be the graduate program director.

Together, students and advisors will review each individual student’s transcript and Program of Study, and determine exactly what requirements have been fulfilled, and what classes yet remain for the student to complete the degree.

The student will utilize the transcript, Program Form, and G-MAP Form to list these needed courses. Given notification, the advisor will review the list and approve as appropriate. Signatures of the student and program director (if different from the advisor) will document the approval. This approved list becomes the G-MAP.

Students should carefully follow their G-MAP in order to be guaranteed the promises made to them under the Wright State University Pledge to Students.

Once approved/finalized, the G-MAP cannot be changed. Because of this, it is important for the student to carefully consider requirements and discuss them with his or her advisor.

When choosing classes at registration, the students should carefully check their G-MAP to ensure that they are taking the classes needed to stay on track and in compliance with the approved G-MAP.

G-MAPs are available to create now! All G-MAPs must be approved by the last day of Spring Quarter 2012, June 2, 2012.

Start your G-MAP:

G-MAP Form and Instructions (PDF)


Can I appeal decisions made under the G-MAP system if I think I’ve been unfairly delayed in graduating?

Yes, there is a process. An appeal will start with the graduate program director of your program, then go through the academic department and the college in which your department resides. The director of semester conversion will be the final authority on all appeals.

When is the approved G-MAP due to my advisor?

G-MAPs are available to create now. All G-MAPs must be approved by the last day of Spring Quarter 2012, June 2, 2012.

What if I calculate that I would have graduated at the end of Winter quarter under quarters, but my G-MAP says I will graduate at the end of Spring semester?

Winter and Spring Quarters will be considered together as constituting the Spring Semester under the new calendar. In fact, because the Spring Semester will end much earlier than the old Spring Quarter did, the end of the new Spring Semester will only be a few weeks after the end of the old Winter quarter. This does not therefore constitute being forced to graduate “later” under the university’s Pledge.

What do I do if the course I planned on my G-MAP via the Course Schedule Planning Guide is not offered?

Contact your Academic Advisor or Program Director immediately.

What if my thesis research gets drawn out longer than I expected? Will the university be responsible if a research delay causes me to graduate later than my G-MAP says I should?

The university’s Pledge applies to all cases where a student may be forced to graduate later because of issues directly related to the transition to semesters. Extended thesis or laboratory research is a common occurrence, and will continue to be so under semesters as it has been under quarters. If your graduation date is delayed because of research delays that are not related to the semester transition, the university will assume no responsibility for that delay.

What if courses on my G-MAP are not offered when the Course Planning Guide says they will be?

The G-MAP represents an embodiment of the university’s Pledge to transition students. If a student is forced off their G-MAP plan because a course is not offered when it was promised, it will be incumbent on the department and the university to find an equivalent course, or otherwise make arrangements to offer alternatives that will allow you to graduate when your G-MAP says you should be able to graduate.