Quest for Community: A Call to Action
Thursday, April 12, 2007
7:00 p.m.||Presidential Lecture Series|
"We're All in the Same Gang" with actor and activist Edward James Olmos
Student Union Apollo Room
Wright State University
Friday, April 13, 2007
||Registration and Continental Breakfast|
||Welcome by Conference Co-chairs and WSU President David R. Hopkins
||Keynote Speaker TBA
- "Changing the Hearts and Minds of a Community One Student at a Time"
- Cathy Sayer, Wright State University
- Sarah Twill, Wright State University
- "Diversity in Study Abroad Programs"
- Morgan Patten, Wright State University
- Vanessa Walton, Wright State University
- "Fact or Fiction: Crossing the Bridges of Mediated Images of the "Other" vs. Reality through TV Fandom Internet and Actual Community Discussion Networks"
- Marie Fortini, Community Member
- "Human Trafficking Awareness"
- Joy Cox, Wright State University
- Caitlin Royster, Wright State University
- Shantae West, Wright State University
- "Transforming Campus Environment: Strategies and Programs that Support Latino Enrollment and Success in Higher Education Settings"
- Manuel Apodaca-Valdéz, Wittenberg University
- Wanda Canales, Central State University
- Víctor M. García, Del Pueblo, Inc.
- Indra Leyva-Santiago, University of Dayton
- Eréndira López-García, Wright State University
|11:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m.||Concurrent Sessions
- "Diversity—Mainstream of America: Is it Political Rhetoric or a Survival Imperative?"
- Pamela Goff-Fletcher
- Edward Suh
- "Experiencing Poverty through Service Learning"
- Sam Howell, Wright State University
- Sarah Minnix, Wright State University
- "Hourly Employees: Transforming Community at the Intersections of Gender, Race, and Class"
- Marca Kasselmann, Xavier University
- Nancy McDonald, Xavier University
- Cheryl Nunez, Xavier University
- Kay Ohradzansky, Xavier University
- Joanie Weidner, Xavier University
- "Reimagining Accessibility with the Rise of the Creative Class"
- Mark Willis, Wright State University
- "Strengthening Classroom Communities: Best Practices from 'Outside In'"
- Monica Adkins, University of Dayton
- Art Brooks, Wilmington College
- Susan Price, Kettering College of Medical Arts
- Rob Reid, Cedarville University
- Hazel Rountree, Wright State University
||Luncheon and Roundtable Discussions|
Presentation of Annual Quest for Community Award
|2:15–3:15 p.m.||Concurrent Sessions
- "Building Community Partnerships for Social Change: The Good-to-Go Backpack Food Drive"
- Daniel Deisher, Wright State University
- Laura Holdeman, Wright State University
- Tim Gardner, The Foodbank
- "Cross Cultural Competency and the College Student Experience"
- Collins Annin, Ohio University
- Elizabeth Barnett, Ohio University
- "Practical Keys to Break Barriers and Establish Community"
- Catanya Stager, Wright State University
- Jeremiah Stager, Wright State University
- "Pushing for Unity within our Community"
- Meagan Cronenwett, Wright State University
- TJ Hufford, Wright State University
- Teisha Murray, Wright State University
- "Teacher Candidates with Disabilities: Building an Inclusive Learning Community"
- Mary Ellen Bargerhuff, Wright State University
- Donna Cole, Wright State University
Ice Cream Reception