All bomb threats are taken seriously until proven otherwise. Most bomb threats are received by phone. However, threats may be received via hand-written note, email, instant messaging, or other means.
- Remain calm.
- If someone calls you with a bomb threat, get as much information as possible (use checklist below).
- If threat is by written note, DO NOT handle the document.
- If threat was sent electronically, DO NOT clear or delete message.
- DO NOT use two-way radios or cell phones within 100 feet of building– radio signals have the potential to detonate a bomb.
- DO NOT activate the fire alarm.
- DO NOT touch or move a suspicious package.
- Evacuate the building. (See Evacuation Procedures)
- Call 911 on campus phone or (419) 586-6455 on cell or off campus phone.
- Employees contact your supervisor as soon as possible.
- Follow directions of the emergency response personnel.
Be sure to download the Bomb Threat Checklist (PDF) and record all the pertinent information for your recollection and for the authorities.