What will my audition be like?
In addition to the actual audition/performance for acceptance into the Department of Music, the audition day is an opportunity to meet the music faculty, learn more about what it means to be a music major at Wright State University, and hear about the exciting opportunities available to WSU music students.
- When you arrive at the Creative Arts Center you will check in and receive a schedule of activities for your audition day.
- Parents and friends are welcome to accompany you to the audition day, however, the audition itself and the diagnostics are closed to everyone except you.
- Your audition day will begin with a welcome session to give you an overview of the day, discuss scholarship opportunities, and give you an opportunity to ask questions.
- While you are here, you will take a piano placement diagnostic and a music theory diagnostic. These are used to place you in the appropriate section of keyboarding and music theory classes when you arrive in the fall. While we want you to do your best on these diagnostics, your results on them will not affect your acceptance into the Department of Music.
- Tours of the department's facilities will be available.
- A tour of the WSU campus may be available depending on the availablility of University Admissions staff.
- You can expect your audition to last approximately 15 minutes. Regarding the audition itself, go to the Audition Requirements page to learn about the requirements for your particular instrument.
- You will have time to warm up in one of our practice rooms before your audition. If you have requested one of our accompanists, he or she will have time to work with you before the audition.
As with any type of audition/performance there will undoubtedly be some stress involved. As much as possible, however, the faculty, staff, and students of the Department of Music want you to relax while you are here. We want you not only to perform at your best, but also to meet us, learn about our department and university, and see and hear why we are excited about Wright State University.