Sophomore Music Education Board
The Sophomore Music Education Board is designed to be the new gateway into the Music Education degree program. It is a comprehensive look at students who are finishing their sophomore year or equivalent in their music studies which emphasizes the importance of music pedagogy, music theory, and class piano to music education.
Students who plan on being music education majors will enter the university listed as Music-BA whether they are transfer students or incoming freshmen. Only after successful passage of all the elements of the Sophomore Music Education Board can students be listed as Music Education.
The Sophomore Music Education Board will effectively combine the TK20 Midpoint Check which is an expectation of the College of Education with the Department of Music’s criteria for allowing a student to be listed as a Music Education Major.
The Semester prior to going through the Sophomore Music Education Board students will fill out an “Intent Form”. This will most commonly occur in the Fall Semester of the sophomore year (Term 3). The intent form will then allow the Coordinator of Music Education to make sure students have all instructions and materials to successfully complete the Board.
Students will submit the components of the Sophomore Board towards the end of the Spring Semester of the sophomore year (Term 4). The components will be evaluated by members of the Music Education Committee at the end of the term. Students successfully completing all required elements of the Board will be notified in writing and the Coordinator of Music Education will work with Charles Long at COLA to change these students to the listing of Music Education during the summer.
Students who are not able to successfully complete all required elements of the Board will be notified in writing and will be allowed to resubmit individual items until the requirements are met.
- Music Education GPA (3.0)
- Cumulative GPA (2.7)
- The Music Education Philosophy paper completed in MUS 1990
- Keyboarding: Students play a basic piano solo or classroom song specified by the Music Education Committee. Students will video record this component and post on their TK20 in the 10th week of the semester.
- Pedagogy: Students play an assigned solo on a secondary instrument or voice. Students will video record this component and post on their TK20 in the 10th week of the semester.
- Analyze the assigned secondary instrument/voice solo piano score for chord progressions and label solfege on solo part. The completed assignment is due in the 10th week of the semester and will be scanned and posted on TK20.
- Faculty Feedback Forms completed by faculty of the student’s choosing. Forms are in checklist format and include space for written comments. They are due by the end of the semester and will be posted in TK20.
- Self -Evaluation completed by the student. This will be a checklist of character traits allowing the students to rate themselves. There will also be a written reflection included which would allow students to write about their development. The completed form is due by the end of the semester and will be posted on TK20.
The Sophomore Music Education Board will be introduced to students in MUS 1990: Introduction to Music Education course. During that course students will learn how to purchase and use the TK20 and will download their Music Education Philosophy paper to begin setting up their Sophomore Music Education Board artifacts.
After a student fills out their “Intent” form they will be assigned the secondary instrument or voice on which they will perform. The solo to be performed will come from a list of pieces which will be made available to the students. All other required items from artifacts 4, 5, and 6 will be provided to the students.
The Sophomore Music Education Board will be evaluated by 2 members of the Music Education Committee and the Coordinator of Music Education.
Students who do not complete or successful pass all required items for the Board will not be able to begin their Choral/Instrumental Methods sequence in the Junior year and will not be able to enroll for the required observation courses (ED 2750, ED 2650) or their Student Teaching.
Students may take as much time as needed to complete these items. The completion of the Sophomore Music Education Board does not have bearing on a student’s ability to remain in the Music Department, to complete a BA in music, or to progress through the applied lesson sequence.
Transfer students who come into the Music Department at the start of their Junior year will meet with the Coordinator of Music Education to determine if they are ready to begin the Choral/Instrumental Methods sequence. If this is the case they will be allowed to register for the fall semester Choral/Instrumental Methods course and will have that semester to complete their Sophomore Music Education Board. They will work with the Coordinator of Music Education and other members of the Music Education Committee to get the information and training needed for TK20.
Transfer students who do not complete the Board in that semester will not be permitted to complete the Choral/Instrumental Methods sequence and will likewise not be able to enroll for the required observation courses (ED 2750, ED 2650) or their Student Teaching.