Time Off Work

Attendance and Notification of Absence    

All university employees are expected to maintain a good record of attendance. However, absence from work is sometimes unavoidable. When you are delayed or absent from work, your manager or designee must be notified. Each department or work unit communicates its notification procedure, so check with your manager for procedures specific to your department. Failure to report an absence in accordance with your department’s notification procedure may result in your being denied paid sick leave, being subject to disciplinary action, or both.


If you are appointed on a 100 percent annual full-time equivalency (FTE) contract, you earn 22 work days of paid vacation per year. If you are appointed to work less than 100 percent annual FTE, but more than 50 percent annual FTE, you earn pro-rated vacation time. Vacation time is accrued at a rate of 14.67 hours or 1.83 days per calendar month, based on 100 percent FTE. Full-time employees who have more than 24 years of Ohio public service credit accrue vacation at a rate of 16.67 hours per calendar month.  Unclassified staff who are appointed to less than full-time positions earn pro-rated vacation time.  

Prior Ohio public service is credited toward longevity for vacation accrual.

The use of vacation leave requires the prior approval of your manager, except in the case of family and medical leaves. You must have your vacation approved by submitting a completed Sick Leave/Vacation Request Form to your manager, showing the number of vacation hours requested. Vacation time requested cannot exceed current earned vacation time balances.

On August 31 of each year, vacation balances are reviewed by the university. Any excess of the maximum amount you may earn in two years (44 days or 352 hours for a full-time employee) is deleted at that time.

Designated holidays will not be charged to vacation leave. You will be paid for earned, but unused, vacation leave upon separation from the university or upon retirement.  Vacation payment upon separation from the university does not apply if you are an employee on a special contract.


Human Resources issues a University Holiday Schedule each year, summarizing holiday observances. You are granted 10 holidays per year. They currently are: 

Name of Holiday Date of Holiday
New Year’s Day January 1
Martin Luther King Day* January (third Monday)
Presidents’ Day* February (third Monday)
Memorial Day May (last Monday)
Independence Day July 4
Labor Day September (first Monday)
Columbus Day* October (second Monday)
Veterans’ Day November 11
Thanksgiving Day November (fourth Thursday)
Christmas Day December 25

*State law allows the university to move the observance of three holidays--Martin Luther King Day, Presidents’ Day, and Columbus Day--to dates other than the actual holiday. Changes are noted in the annual University Holiday Schedule.

Holidays that fall on a Saturday are observed the preceding Friday.  Holidays that fall on a Sunday are observed the following Monday.

You are not eligible for holiday pay when:

  • you have an unexcused, unpaid absence on the day before the holiday(s).
  • you are on a leave of absence without pay or on a layoff, or you are receiving Workers’ Compensation total disability benefits.   

Sick Leave

Paid sick leave is earned and accrued by all unclassified employees. The rate of accrual for full-time unclassified staff is 10 hours, or 1.25 days, per calendar month when you are in active status. Part-time unclassified employees accrue sick leave on a pro-rated basis.

Sick leave with pay may be requested only for leave already earned. Your manager has the right to approve or not approve sick leave. The university may require you to provide a physician’s certificate after three consecutive days of absence, or when a physician has seen you, or in cases of patterned or excessive use. The physician’s certificate should include the reason why you are or were unable to work.           

You may transfer accrued sick leave from one state agency to another, provided the time between separation and reappointment does not exceed 10 years.

You can use approved, accrued sick leave for absences due to:

  • a personal illness/injury or the illness/injury of a member of your immediate family who requires your care
  • pregnancy, childbirth, or related conditions
  • a personal medical, dental, vision, or psychological examination or the examination of a member of your immediate family who requires your care
  • treatment and exposure to contagious disease
  • serious illness or death in your immediate family

Your immediate family is defined as including your spouse, parents, children, grandparents, siblings, grandchildren, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, father-in-law, mother-in-law, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, legal guardian or other person who stands in place of a parent, and a registered domestic partner.

With 10 years of state service and upon retirement or death, you or your estate will receive a cash settlement equivalent to one-fourth of the value of accrued but unused sick leave, up to a maximum of 240 hours. Payment is based upon your rate of compensation at the time of retirement or death. This payment eliminates all of your sick leave credit.  If you retire, a cash payment will be made to you one time only. If you return to state service after a cash payment has been made, you can accrue and use sick leave as before, but cannot receive a cash settlement for the unused sick leave at the time of a second retirement.