Procedure for granting an extension to a faculty member selecting the VRIP
A. Guiding principles for granting faculty extensions:
A faculty member’s retirement date in VRIP may be extended to April 28, 2017 (academic faculty) or June 30, 2017 (fiscal faculty) if:
1. (a) courses taught by the faculty member must be taught in Spring Semester 2017, and (b) it can be shown that there is no other faculty member or adjunct willing and able to assume the assignment(s), and (c) an immediate replacement hire process cannot be effectively completed by early January; or
2. the faculty member is engaged in a critical administrative position where (a) the department/college cannot identify another employee to take on the duties during Spring Semester 2017 and (b) loss of the faculty member would have an immediate negative impact on the program; or
3. the faculty member is engaged in an externally funded research project that (a) cannot be transferred to another faculty member, (b) extends beyond December 31, 2016, and (c) will conclude or become transferrable by April 28, 2017 (academic faculty) or June 30, 2017 (fiscal faculty).
B. Process for reviewing faculty extension requests:
1. A request for an extension may be made by the retiring faculty member or by his or her Dean.
a) A faculty member who intends to retire under VRIP and believes his/her retirement meets one or more of the three guiding principles set forth above may submit an extension request to the Associate Provost for Faculty and Staff Affairs. The request should include sufficient detail explaining why and how the guiding principle(s) is (are) met in this case and the specific date for the proposed extension either April 28, 2017 for academic faculty or June 30, 2017 for fiscal faculty.
b) A Dean may submit a request to the Associate Provost for Faculty and Staff Affairs requesting an extension for a faculty member retiring under VRIP. The request should include sufficient detail explaining why and how the guiding principle(s) is (are) met in this case and the specific date for the extension either April 30, 2017 for academic faculty or June 30, 2017 for fiscal faculty. It should also include a statement from the faculty member that he/she will agree to such an extension, if it is approved.
2. Requests must be submitted no later than August 1, 2016.
3. Copies of all extension requests involving BUFMs will be sent to AAUP-WSU no later than August 3, 2016.
4. The Provost will review all requests and will provide approvals and denials of all requests no later than August 19, 2016.
5. A denied request for faculty extension can be grieved by the retiring BUFM or AAUP-WSU if the decision is inconsistent with one of the faculty guiding principles.
 Replacement positions must be approved by Strategic Hire Committee