Graduate Policies and Procedures Manual

5.10 The Marking and Point Systems


Academic achievement is indicated by the following letter grades and points used in calculating grade point averages:

Grade Quality - Level Grade - Points per Credit Hour
A - Highest - 4
B - Second - 3
C - Third - 2
D - Lowest - 1
F - Failed - 0

X - Student failed to complete course and did not withdraw. The grade X remains on the permanent record and is figured in the grade point average as zero grade points.


The following symbols appear on the record but are not included in calculating grade point averages:

L - Audit - Given only if arranged at the time of registration.

N - No report - Instructor did not report grade.

P - Passing - A permanent grade which indicates work quality equivalent to grade of "B" or better. Given only for specifically approved courses.

M - Satisfactory - A temporary grade which indicates satisfactory progress and that a permanent grade will be assigned upon completion of a course sequence. M grades may not be assigned to theses, dissertations, or similar capstone research projects.

U - Unsatisfactory Performance - Equivalent to not passing or not satisfactory.

I - Incomplete - Given only when part of the required work is missing and arrangements have been made with the instructor complete the work.

I grades are reported to the Registrar's Office on the grade report sheet. An incomplete grade agreement between the Instructor and the student is not required. The "I" grade may remain on the student's academic record for up to two consecutive terms. This policy does not prohibit instructors from awarding an "I" grade for a lesser period of time. The student will have to make up an incomplete grade by the date the instructor has stipulated or if no date was stipulated, no later than the last day of classes of the second term. Failure to make up an incomplete grade will result in it being changed to a grade of "F".

Instructors may extend, one time only, the "I" grade for up to an additional two consecutive terms by submitting a grade change form to the Registrar's Office. If an "I" grade is awarded or an extension is granted for less than two terms, instructors must advise the student of the time period. If an "I" grade is assigned or an extension is granted for a period less than two terms, then it will be the responsibility of the instructor, after the specified period has expired, to assign a grade to the student by submitting a grade change form to the Registrar’s Office.

W - Withdrawal Given - for courses from which the student withdrew or dropped during the fourth through fifth weeks of classes or equivalent, or for which the student petitioned for withdrawal.