I. The meeting was called to order at 2:05 p.m.
Voting members and alternates present were: C. Brun, D. Cipollini, D. Cool, R. Grandhi, M. Gruys, T. Longley-Cook, M. Kadakia, M. McNutt, M. Miller, B. Milligan, R. Ramsey, B. Rigling, A. Russell, S. Schiller, E. Self, and T. Tarpey.
Non-voting members, alternates and other attendees were: R. Ayres (chair), C. Cherrington, S. Foster, E. Gilles (scribe), J. Greening, L. Hong, J. Keferl, C. Loranger, M. Mamrack, D. Steele-Johnson, R. Williams.
II. Approval of Minutes
It was moved and seconded that the minutes of the Nov. 1, 2012 meeting be approved as written. Motion carried unanimously.
III. Report of the Assistant Dean (R. Ayres)
a. Budget allocations for Graduate Tuition Scholarships (GTS) – The administration has agreed to strengthen the support of funding for graduate tuition scholarships.
b. Ed.D. in Organizational Studies –The full proposal was presented and approved at the Nov. 30 RACGS meeting.
IV. Committee Reports
a. Policies Committee (R. Ayres for G. Alter)
The Policies Committee is still considering the transcript policy revision. The committee has been gathering feedback and will meet again in January.
b. Membership Committee (R. Ayres for B. Gray)
Since the last Graduate Council meeting, the Graduate School Dean approved 4 regular and 8 adjunct graduate faculty memberships. The Membership Committee approved 2 adjunct nominations.
c. Curriculum Committee A (R. Grandhi)
1. Degree Designation Change: MS in Electrical Engineering – The Master of Science in Engineering degree has been awarded for 40 years with tracks in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, etc. This request is to change the degree to Master of Science in Electrical Engineering and will be the first of several proposals from CECS requesting a degree designation change. There are no changes to the program, the courses, or the degree requirement. On behalf of the Curriculum Committee A, R. Grandhi moved to approve the degree designation change. Dr. Ayres added that the proposed will need Faculty Senate and OBR approval. No discussion. R. Ayres called for a vote. All in favor. Motion passed.
2. New Course Request: EE 6800 and Course Modifications: BMS 7670, CEG 6400, NUR 6114, NUR 7114, and NUR 7513 - On behalf of the Curriculum Committee A, R. Grandhi moved to approve the new course request and five course modifications. No discussion. R. Ayres called for a vote. All in favor. Motion passed.
3. Program of Study: Innovation and Entrepreneurship Certificate Program – This is a quarter to semester conversion with no changes to the certificate program. On behalf of the Curriculum Committee A, R. Grandhi moved to approve the program of study. No discussion. R. Ayres called for a vote. All in favor. Motion passed.
d. Curriculum Committee B (S. Schiller for S. Franco)
The committee reviewed 19 items since the last Grad Council meeting and recommends approval of 18. Information item: Some of the items required additional information from the instructor. The committee has noticed an inconsistency with the templates used by the different colleges. On behalf of the Curriculum Committee B, S. Schiller moved to approve the following:
1. New Course Requests: EDT 8490 and EDT 8590
2. Course Modifications: EDL 9740 and EDL 9860
3. Programs of Study:
i. EDS Advanced Curriculum and Instruction
ii. EDS Superintendent
iii. MED Teacher Leader Curriculum and Instruction
iv. Multi-Age Education License: World Language German
v. Multi-Age MED Concentration: World Language German
vi. MED Principalship
vii. TESOL Endorsement
4. Quarter to Semester Changes: EDL 662 to SAA 7690, EDL 8710, PHL 5110, PHL 5780, PHL 5800, PHL 6110, and PHL 6140
No discussion. R. Ayres called for a vote. All in favor. Motion passed.
e. Student Affairs Committee (C. Brun)
The committee had one meeting with full attendance. The nominations for the Spring 2013 Wright Fellowships were reviewed. The committee recommended that the Graduate School distribute awards to: Erica Stewart, African American, MS in Anatomy, CoSM; Antoine Wrice, African American, MS in Anatomy, CoSM; Loic Kiza, African American, MS in Nursing, CoNH; Karina Descartin, Asian American, Community Health, BSoM; Edward Kennedy, Native American, Environmental Sciences PhD, CoSM; and Young Kim, Asian American, MS in Nursing, CoNH.
The committee also reviewed the nominations from all colleges for Alumni of the Year and recommended Sung Ahn, 1983, MS in Statistics, CoSM, be selected as the Graduate School Outstanding Alumnus of the Year.
V. Graduate Student Assembly (J. Greening)
The GSA received 12 applications for the professional development grants and 11 for the original work grants in the first round. This is double the number of applications from last fall. All colleges and schools were represented. The grant recipients will be announced soon. The GSA also met their fall semester membership goal of 90 total members just today.
VII. Old Business – None
VIII. New Business – None
IX. Discussion - None
X. Announcement: Next meeting will be held January 24, 2013.
XI. The meeting was adjourned at 2:25 p.m.