LGBTQA Resource Room banner
The Safe Space program at Wright State University is a comprehensive and engaging educational program that dares to transform the campus environment for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Questioning, Ally (GLBTQA) students, staff and faculty.
Through its bold educational programs, individuals and offices are identified that provide a network of support for the emotional, psychological, social and physical well-being of our GLBTQA community.
In 2005, the Rainbow Alliance launched an initial Safe Space Campaign by creating a Safe Space manual and Ally Sticker to encourage our allies in Wright State University’s faculty and staff to identify themselves on campus by putting visible Safe Space symbols on their office doors. By displaying the Safe Space symbol, they would let GLBTQ (gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and questioning) students know that those faculty and staff were people they could turn to who believed in equality, would be supportive of GLBTQ student needs, could give advice, or just be someone with whom they could talk to and feel safe and comfortable.
As of the 2008-2009 academic year, a new Core Team came together to revitalize the Wright State Safe Space Program by updating the 2005 manual, instituting a comprehensive ally training program for faculty, staff and students, creating a website, and renewing the Safe Space Sticker Campaign.
About the Program
The Safe Space Training Program is a comprehensive 3 hour session and provides potential new allies with information on how to support the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, and Questioning community. The training will include a panel of students who will share their experiences as members of the GLBTQA community. Allies attending the entire 3 hour training will have the option of completing a Safe Space Pledge and being listed on this site as an Ally. Allies completing the pledge will be provided with the Safe Space emblem to display inside or outside of their offices.
About the Trainers
The program consists of a core team of volunteers from Counseling & Wellness, Office of Student Activities, Women’s Center, Rainbow Alliance, LIVE and Beta Beta. We are always interested in expanding our team of trainers. If you are interested in joining the training team after attending the Safe Space Training Program please contact Susan Vance, Graduate Assistant, Office of Student Activities at 775-5570 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Register for Training
If you are interested in upcoming training sessions please click below on the date and complete the registration form.
Summer/Fall Dates to be Announced Soon!
Request a Training
Training requests are fulfilled in the order they are submitted. Because training requires the coordination of many facilitators’ schedules, the more open you can be with the date and time for your request the greater likelihood the request can be filled by our team.
The training team may combine training opportunities with permission from requestors to maximize participation.
If you have any questions regarding training scheduling, please contact Susan Vance Graduate Assistant, Office of Student Activities at 775-5570 or email@example.com.
Be an Ally
46 Ways to be an Ally on the Wright State Campus
- Change your language to be as inclusive as possible.
- Don’t assume heterosexuality or gender identity.
- Take time to think through your personal feelings about GLBTQA people.
- Avoid tokenizing GLBTQA individuals.
- Work to ensure the safety of GLBTQA individuals. This safety includes physical and psychological safety, as well as the ability to act without fear of stigma, oppression, or violence.
- Report bias-related incidents to the Wright State Bias Incident Response Team (see http://www.wright.edu/students/stu_affairs/birt.html) so that the university community can record and address these incidents.
- Challenge heterosexist and homophobic statements (e.g. “That’s not funny…”) not because it’s politically correct to do so, but because it builds a safer, more inclusive campus.
- Bring a Safe Space panel to your classroom, student organization, or residence hall.
- Support the creation and use of gender-neutral restrooms and single user restrooms. Avoid staring or attempting to label people’s gender identity in the restroom.
- Donate to, or organize a fundraiser for, the GLBTQA student scholarship at Wright State.
- Attend a meeting or event of LIVE, Rainbow Alliance, or Beta / Beta.
- Volunteer for one of LIVE, Rainbow Alliance, or Beta / Beta’s special annual events.
- Follow up with a student or colleague who publicly takes a stand on GLBTQA issues. Support these individuals publicly and privately.
- Include GLBTQA students and colleagues in all informal group outings for classes and departments.
- Make it your personal policy to not “out” people, regardless of how open they are, unless you have their permission.
- Make it your personal policy to resist introducing people (either in person or in conversations) as your “gay friend” or “lesbian colleague” unless their sexual orientation is relevant or unless you also introduce your “straight friend” or “straight colleague.”
- Make it your personal policy to not automatically assign characteristics to people based on their perceived or actual gender identity. Notice how your interactions with others change when you do this.
- Offer to be part of someone’s support network as s/he is coming out.
- Remind others that individuals who are coming out are more than their sexual orientation or gender identity and expression. Affirm the human dignity of all.
- Learn more about community resources such as PFLAG. Attend an event and then tell others widely about your attendance, just as you would about other aspects of your life.
- Invite GLBTQA students to provide feedback about whether they feel included on your floor, department, or classroom. Provide opportunities for ongoing feedback.
- Challenge yourself to not buy into stereotypes.
- Engage in friendly discussions of GLBTQA concerns.
- When updating on current events, include GLBTQA news, events and happenings.
- Show your support by wearing GLBTQA pins, bracelets, or t-shirts.
- When you hear someone ask, “What’s GLBTQA mean?,” stop and explain.
- Avoid guessing who is GLBTQ and who is not.
- Commit to being an ally all day, every day, regardless of whether anyone is witness to your acts.
- Educate yourself and others about how to be an ally.
For Faculty & Staff
- Prominently display your Safe Space sticker on your office door or at the entrance to your workspace.
- Designate your classroom as a Safe Space. Add a disclaimer to your syllabus and enforce it.
- Ask GLBTQA constituents for feedback about how your office might better support or serve them. Ensure that there are ongoing opportunities for feedback.
- Revise your syllabus to include GLBTQA films, articles, or other readings.
- Join Allies, the GLBTQA staff and faculty organization.
- Support GLBTQA issues in department meetings; speak up and voice your support so that your GLBTQA colleagues are not the only voices for equity.
- Ensure that Wright Way Policy 4001—which includes protections for sexual orientation and gender identity/expression—is upheld.
- Respect the request of transgender individuals to go by their preferred names and pronouns.
- Add a variety of partner status options in your unit’s paperwork.
- Health service providers, sexual violence prevention educators, student affairs advocates, and counselors, among others, should be comfortable with sexual health issues and terminology for GLBTQA individuals.
- Include GLBTQA stories and materials in publicity for your unit.
- Be open and prepared to discussing how GLBTQA issues affect students’ financial aid, career options, relationships with family, etc.
- If you are not able to answer a question or help a GLBTQA student or colleague, be ready to ask for assistance from the Safe Space Core Team.
For Resident Assistants
- Normalize GLBTQA issues by bringing them up in your first floor meeting. Insist that all individuals are welcome on your floor.
- Plan a program or make a bulletin board about GLBTQA issues. The Safe Space Core Team would be happy to provide resources and ideas!
- Check in with your known GLBTQA residents to ensure that they feel included and welcome on your floor.
- If their assigned roommate refuses to live with them, give GLBTQA students options and a voice in how the complaint is addressed.
|Abrahamowicz, Dan||Student Affairs|
|Acosta, Julia||Educational Leadership|
|Allbright, Barb||Student Support Services|
|Appleman, Ashley||Student Union & Event Services|
|Arunkumar, Vik||Residence Services|
|Atkins, Diana||Registrar Office|
|Attenweiler, Jennifer||Residence Services|
|Bak, Brittany||School of Professional Psychology|
|Baker, Andy||Teacher Education|
|Bange, Stephanie||Educational Resource Center|
|Barnhart, Amy||Financial Aid|
|Bartow, Evan E.|
|Beckermann, Carleen||Career Services|
|Beemer, Elizabeth||Office of Student Activities|
|Bell, Michael||Raj Soin College of Business|
|Blessing, Nicole Iezzi||Residence Services|
|Bonza, Angela||Office of Disability Services|
|Bornstein, Dara||Dunbar Library|
|Bossetti, Christina||Residential Assistant|
|Bower, Rebekah (Becky)||KNH|
|Brackman, Benjamin||Residential Assistant|
|Brady, Barry||School of Professional Psychology|
|Brame, Rachel||Residence Services|
|Brown, Hunt||Earth & Enviromental Sciences|
|Brun, Carl||Social Work|
|Bryant-Case, Kristina||Educational Leadership|
|Bullock, Barbara||Institutional Research|
|Burnworth, Daniela||Counseling & Wellness Services|
|Campbell, Janae||Residential Assistant|
|Chelette, Murry||Residential Assistant|
|Chery, Richard||Residential Assistant|
|Chetcuti, Wendy||Police Department|
|Claflin, Dragana||Psychology/312 B Fawcett|
|Clark, Jacob||Resident Assistant|
|Coconis, Michel||Social Work|
|Cooksey-James, Tawna||104 University Hall CONH|
|Copella, Andrea||Residence Services|
|Copella, Katie||Residence Services|
|Corbett, Drew||Campus Recreation|
|Corbitt, Eric||Student Union & Event Services|
|Cunningham, Shana||Residence Services|
|Cunningham, Sherry||Residence Services|
|Dakan, Daniel||University College|
|Danals, Rick||Student Activities|
|Darkow, Dan||Resident Assistant|
|Davis, Will||University Libraries|
|Dean, Helen||Enviromental Health & Safety|
|Deedrick, Katie||Student Support Services|
|Deer, Joe||Theatre, Dance and Motion Pictures|
|Delgado, Kolina||Counseling & Wellness Services|
|Denman, Janet||Theatre, Dance & Motion Pictures|
|Denney, Jean||Disability Services|
|Denny, Sarah||Residence Services|
|Depp, Edward||Affirmative Action Programs|
|Dickey, Garrett||Resident Assistant|
|Dickstein, Gary||Community Standards & Student Conduct|
|Donohue Darla||CEHS, Student Services|
|Dorsten, Kylie||Office of the Registrar|
|Druffel, Ryan||Residence Services|
|Duke, Lisa||Career Services|
|Dulle, Jamie||Community Standards & Student Conduct|
|Ellenburg-Kimmet, Tanya||Digital Service, University Libraries|
|Eziolisa, Uju||Resident Assistant|
|Finch, Megan||Resident Assistant|
|Finegan, Dr. Colleen||Teacher Education|
|Flood, Antonique||University College - AATS|
|Floyd, Jackie||Psychology Dept.|
|Fogarty, Holly||Residence Services|
|Foster, Joshua||Residence Services|
|Frantz, Shalagh||School of Professional Psychology|
|Frantz, Todd||Office of the Registrar|
|Fredley, Richard A.||Residence Services|
|Fredley, Sarah R.||Resident Services|
|Frick, Erin||Counseling & Wellness Services|
|Gammon, Hannah||Counseling & Wellness Services|
|Garber, Debbie||COSM Admin|
|Gepperth, Jason||Ohio's STEM Ability Alliance (OSAA)|
|Glover, Norman||Residence Services|
|Gonzalez, Lenny||Student Activities|
|Graham, Marianne||Community Standards & Student Conduct|
|Grandy, Brittney||Resident Assistant|
|Greaney, Brendan||Disability Services|
|Green, Melissa||Miami University (MSW)|
|Green, Shamon||University College - AATS|
|Greening, Kacey||School of Professional Psychology|
|Gregory, Rhea||Resident Assistant|
|Halberg, Katie||Communications & Marketing|
|Harmon, Matthew||Student Government|
|Harris, Charlotte||Dean CEHS|
|Harris, Kamille||Resident Assistant|
|Harris, Roderick||Student Government|
|Hart, Mary||Writing Center|
|Hembree, Lucas||Lake Campus|
|Hendricks, Alicia||NCBP - Neuro Science, Cell Bio and Physi|
|Henneke, Kyle||Resident Assistant|
|Herbe, Amanda||Undergraduate Admissions|
|Higginbotham, Keith||Counseling & Wellness Services|
|Highlander, Tyler||Resident Assistant|
|Hirschfeld, Carla||Computer Science (adjunct)|
|Hochstein, Dave||Psychology Dept.|
|Hockaday, Linda||CEHS- Student Services|
|Hofmeyer, Lindsay||Student Government|
|Hogan, Christopher||Community Standards & Student Conduct|
|Holdheide, Sandi||Lake Campus Student Services|
|Howes, Joyce||COSM Student Services|
|Hudgell, Justin||Resident Assistant|
|Hudson, Andrew-Bryce||Bolinga Center|
|Irani, Taronish||Counseling & Wellness Services|
|James, Marue||Resident Assistant|
|Jenei, Szilvia||School of Professional Psychology|
|Jensen, David||Resident Assistant|
|Johnson, Brittany||Resident Assistant|
|Johnson, Margaret||Graduate Student- International Business|
|Jones, Carol||Business Enterprise Center|
|Kang, Nardeep||Counseling & Wellness Services|
|Keller, Jeremy||Student Government|
|Keucher, Gina||Student Activities|
|Kimberlin, Anthony||Resident Assistant|
|Kirksey, Khadija||Resident Assistant|
|Kollman, Kathleen||College of Liberal Arts|
|Krouse, Susan||University College|
|Lamp, Debra||Student Activities|
|Lasky, Nova||CEHS Dean's Office|
|Lauterbach, Evelyn||Student Services Advising - Lake Campus|
|Lindsay, Andre||Resident Assistant|
|Littell, Tim||University College|
|Lloyd, Morgan||Resident Assistant|
|Lopez, Cynthia||Residence Services|
|Lotz, Jennifer||Counseling & Wellness Services|
|Loy, Nicole||College of Nursing & Health|
|Loyle, Kellen||Resident Assistant|
|Luchin, Karen||Biomedical Sciences PhD Program|
|Luneke, Angela||Registrar's Office|
|Marquis, Ashley||Residence Services|
|Marshall, Cynthia||English Department|
|Martin, Piper||University Libraries|
|Mathies, Bonnie||Dean - Lake Campus|
|Maykut, Jenny||Residence Services|
|McDermott, Ron||CEHS/ OPFE|
|McKenzie, Meggan||Residence Services|
|McMillan, Jacqueline||Enrollment Management|
|McNeary, Keturah||Enrollment Management|
|Meade, Bria||Resident Assistant|
|Merkle, Aubrey||Campus Recreation/ G.A. Fitness & Wellness|
|Metzner, Michelle||English Department|
|Meyers, Zach||Resident Assistant|
|Mileo, Theresa||Office of the President|
|Miller, Andy||Resident Assistant|
|Miller, Lauren||Central State University Counseling Services|
|Miller, Lucas A.|
|Mirelez, Iris||Financial Aid|
|Money, Jennifer||Grad Student|
|Moore, Ryan||Resident Assistant|
|Morris, Kathy||VP Student Affairs|
|Motter, Sarah||Resident Assistant|
|Murphy, Chris||CEHS Office of Student Services|
|Murray, Margaret||Women's Center|
|Muschert, Julia||Miami University (MSW)|
|Myers, Katherine||Disability Services|
|Narayanan, S||College of Engineering & Computer Science|
|Nguyen, Mai||Asian Hispanic Native American Center|
|Noble, Mary||Resident Assistant|
|O'Sullivan, Olivia||Resident Services|
|Papadakis, Jennifer||College of Science & Mathematics|
|Patterson, Dana Murray||Bolinga Center|
|Paul, Kelli||Student Government|
|Perciful, Michael||School of Professional Psychology|
|Pitts, Tammie||WSU- Lake Campus|
|Poch, Eric||Registrar Office|
|Polk, Simone||Student Services|
|Powers, Steve||Residence Services|
|Prochaska, Lawrence||Biochem/ Mol. Bio.|
|Redd, Emily L.||Residence Services|
|Robinson Jr., Calvin||Residence Services|
|Rose, Megan||Residential Community Association|
|Rubins, Melissa||Teacher Education Dept.|
|Rumbaugh, Stephen||Communications & Marketing|
|Savage, Adrienne||Dunbar Library|
|Scharer, Greg||Alumni Relations|
|Scheidt, Pamela||Center for Healthy Communities|
|Schiml, Patricia||Psychology Dept.|
|Schmalstig, Karen||Office of Disability Services|
|Schraeder, Daniel||Residence Services|
|Schuyler, Philip||Residence Services|
|Schweickart, Tiffany||Student Government|
|Scott, Monique||Residence Services|
|Seiter, Angela||Registrar's Office|
|Semones, Suzanne||Earth & Environmental Sciences, Chemistry|
|Shank, Jennie||VP Student Affairs|
|Siesky, Gene||School of Professional Psychology-Ellis Institute|
|Skira, Aaron||Financial Aid|
|Smith, Courtney||Biological Sciences|
|Smith, Joyce||Student Health Services|
|Smith, Melissa||Enrollment Management, Transfer Student Center|
|Snyder, Chantelle||Raj Soin College of Business|
|Sol (Soloman, Mark)||Registrar's Office|
|Sommers, Kimberly||School of Professional Psychology|
|Spencer, Amanda||Raj Soin College of Business|
|Spencer, Stephanie||Career Services|
|Stamas, Emily||Boonshoft School of Medicine Marketing & Communication|
|Staruch, Carole||Social Work|
|Statt, Victoria (Tori)||Teacher Education|
|Steele, Tracey||Department of Scoiology/Anthropology|
|Stojsavljevic, Andrea||Rainbow Alliance|
|Stokes, Tamarus||Curriculum & Instruction|
|Strong, Tiffany||Resident Assistant|
|Stuby, Cole||Resident Assistant|
|Sweeney, Robert||President's Office|
|Swinning, Hilary||Resident Assistant|
|Teasdale, Anthony||Counseling & Wellness Services|
|Theis, Melissa||Wright State SOPP|
|This, Craig||Office of Institutional Research|
|Thomasson, Elise||Modern Languages|
|Toller, David||Counseling & Wellness Services|
|Turpin, Jennifer||Campus Recreation|
|Underwood, Tim||Counseling & Wellness Services|
|Vanzant, Cindy||Women's Center|
|Vernooy, Jeffrey||Office of Disability Services|
|Virzi, Jessica||School of Professional Psychology|
|Vith Sarah||Vice President's Office for Student Affairs|
|Viviano, Josh||Residence Services|
|Vlasnik, Amber||Women's Center|
|Webb, Jennifer||SOM -Community Health - CGHSMP|
|Wehmeyer, Susan||University Libraries|
|Weinzimmer, Julianne||Sociology/ Anthropology|
|Wellinghoff, Tiffany||Institutional Research|
|White, Jessica||University College|
|Whitlock, Joe||Environmental Health & Safety|
|Wichie, Ryan||Resident Assistant|
|Wilder, Heather||WSU SOPP|
|Wiley, Gayle||CEHS, Student Services|
|Wilhoite, Valita||Student Activities|
|Willer, Cassiey||Resident Assistant|
|Wilson, Renee||Resident Assistant|
|Winters, Kathy||Campus Recreation|
|Wolfe, John||Technology, Academic/ Intructional, Programs & Services (TAPS)|
|Young, Samantha||Resident Assistant|
|Zinnecker, Matt||Residence Services|
Stop by our new office on the lower level of the Student Union or give us a call at (937) 775-5570 if you have questions or would like to get involved on campus!