Grading System

The Undergraduate Grading System
Academic achievement is indicated by the following letter grades and points used in calculating grade point averages. A Wright State grade point average is computed by dividing the number of points earned at Wright State by the total number of hours attempted at Wright State.

A *Excellent - 4 points per credit hour
B *Good - 3 points per credit hour
C *Satisfactory - 2 points per credit hour
D *Poor - 1 point per credit hour
F Failed - 0 points per credit hour
X Student did not complete course or officially withdraw--0 points per credit hour

Except for the grade of P, no academic credit is given for the following grades, and none are used in calculating grade point averages.

Grade reports are sent at the end of each semester to the addresses on file in the registrar's office. Students who notice discrepancies on their grade reports should contact the Office of the Registrar within thirty days.

*P Passing--indicates work of C quality or better; given only for specifically approved courses. (Credit is earned but is not computed in grade point averages.)
U Unsatisfactory performance--indicates work below C quality; given only for specifically approved courses.
L Audit--given only if arranged at the time of registration.
I Incomplete--a temporary grade given only when part of required work is missing and arrangements have been made with the instructor to complete the work. An incomplete grade contract must be submitted by the instructor at the time the grade sheet is submitted to the Office of the Registrar. If the work is not completed by the end of the following semester, or earlier if required by the instructor, the I grade automatically is considered equivalent to an F and the grade point recalculated, unless the instructor submits another I grade. Work for an incomplete received spring semester does not have to be completed until the end of the following fall semester if the instructor does not indicate an earlier date on the grade contract.
*M Satisfactory progress on a project--a temporary grade replaced by a permanent grade upon completion of the project.
T Attended--this grade is used only for honors courses. These hours are not counted toward graduation.
W Withdrew--assigned during the 4th and 5th weeks when students who have completed more than 45 hours drop a class or withdraw from the university and during the 4th through the 8th weeks when students who have completed fewer than 45 hours drop a class or withdraw from the university. May also be assigned on the basis of a successful petition to withdraw.
N No report--instructor did not report a grade.

Reporting Grades
Grades are reported on forms furnished to the instructor by the registrar's office. Deadlines for submission of grades are indicated in instructions distributed at the end of each semester. Ordinarily, grades are expected to be submitted within seventy-two hours after the final examination. No grades are recorded for courses from which the student withdrew by the deadline published in the calendar through the authorized program change process. Unauthorized course withdrawals are given a grade of "X."

"S" designations are given for a noncompleted course that is of an individual continuing nature such as research, thesis, or dissertation. It is changed to a final grade when the project is completed.

Grade Changes
The change of an incomplete grade to a final grade shall be reported to the registrar's office on a grade change card available in department and college offices. If a mistake has been made in reporting a final grade, a grade change form shall be filed with the department chair who, if the change is approved, shall forward it to the registrar.