Approved by Faculty Senate February 6, 2012
For a pdf of this document, click FreshStartSemesterPolicyApplication.pdf
RECALCULATION OF CUMULATIVE GRADE POINT AVERAGE (GPA) AND CREDIT HOURS EARNED.
- An undergraduate student who re-enrolls in the university after an absence of three or more years may request the university, through the dean or director of his/her enrollment unit, recalculate the cumulative grade point average and hours earned during the period of previous enrollment. The Fresh Start Rule application must be submitted no later than the end of the student’s first reenrolled term and applies only to courses taken at Wright State University prior to that reenrollment.
- If the application is approved, all courses taken prior to the Fresh Start Rule remain on the permanent record; however, only those courses with grades of A, B, C, or P are counted toward credit hours earned. No other grades are counted for credit as hours toward graduation.
- If the application is approved, the student resumes an academic program with no cumulative grade point average (0.00) for the period to which the Fresh Start Rule applies. This period is defined as all Wright State course work prior to the application of the Fresh Start Rule (course work prior to the first term of enrollment post-Fresh Start). For the purposes of scholastic action and advising, however, the student initially is assigned to the same scholastic standing as when he/she last attended the university. Thereafter, the student is subject to the conditions of probation and dismissal that govern all students.
- After the Fresh Start Rule has been applied to the academic record, a student must earn at Wright State a minimum of forty-five quarter or thirty semester credit hours before graduation with a bachelor’s degree, or a minimum of twenty-four quarter or twenty-four semester credit hours before graduation with an associate’s degree.
- All courses ever taken at the university will be used in the calculation of the cumulative point-hour ratio required for the purpose of determining graduation with Latin honors.
- A student’s five cumulative grade replacements include those prior and subsequent to application of the Fresh Start Rule.
- Courses re-taken following application of the Fresh Start Rule where the original grade was A, B, or C are not eligible to be repeated with grade replacement. If a student chooses to retake such course, the course’s hours earned will not be counted in total hours and the grade will not be counted in the cumulative GPA.
- Courses re-taken following application of the Fresh Start Rule where the original grade was D, F, or X are counted towards a student’s cumulative total of five grade replacements. In such cases, the hours earned will be counted in total hours and the grade will be counted in the cumulative GPA.
- A student is eligible for only one Fresh Start.
- Students who have earned a baccalaureate degree from any institution are not eligible for the Fresh Start Rule. Students who have earned an associate’s degree from Wright State may apply the Fresh Start Rule only to course work earned after the conferral of that degree. Students who
have earned an associate’s degree from another institution may apply the Fresh Start Rule to Wright State course work earned prior to earning that degree.
STUDENT APPLICATION UNDERSTANDING AND AUTHORIZATION REQUIREMENT
PLEASE ATTEST TO THE FOLLOWING BY MEANS OF YOUR SIGNATURE:
- I have read the text of the Fresh Start Rule and understand its applicability to my situation.
- I understand that I will lose credit for ALL WSU courses taken prior to my three-year absence from the university in which I earned a grade below a “C” or did not receive a grade of “P”.
- I understand that this action once invoked may NOT be revoked.
- My last quarter/semester and year of enrollment PRIOR to my three-year absence was Semester/Quarter_____________, Year_____________
- My first quarter/semester and year of enrollment following my three-year absence was
- Semester/Quarter_____________, Year_____________
- Student’s signature___________________ Date________________