Public Health and Sanitation

Campus Drinking Water

Drinking water.jpg

Wright State University, in compliance with EPA standards and the Safe Drinking Water Act, regularly tests its drinking water to ensure that appropriate measures are being taken to provide safe drinking water to the WSU community.

Should you have any questions or comments regarding WSU's drinking water management program or policies, please contact Environmental Health & Safety Department at (937) 775-2215 or email


Related Links

Food Safety & Outside Food Sales


WSU is contracted with Chartwells to provide all food services on campus. However, there are times when food can be sold outside of the Licensed Food Service Operations.

Do I need a temporary food permit?

Selling of most food outside of the Licensed Food Service Operations requires a Temporary Food Service Operations license. The exceptions are "cottage foods".

What is a cottage food production operation?

A cottage food production operation is defined in the Ohio Revised Code Chapter 3715 to mean a person who, in the person's own home, produces food items that are not time/temperature controlled for safety.  The specific foods are LIMITED and listed below.  All foods must be shelf-stable and not require refrigeration for safety.

What kinds of cottage foods can I make?

Approved cottage foods are LIMITED to the following items:

  • Jams & Jellies
  • Candy, except those with fresh fruit
  • Fruit butters & fruit chutney
  • Tea and Coffee (dry)
  • Pizzelles
  • Waffle cones
  • Seasoning mixes & herbs (dry)
  • Doughnuts (baked, unfilled)
  • Cereal/nut snack mixes (dry)
  • Baking mixes in a jar (dry)
  • Granola and granola bars (dry)
  • Popcorn (includes flavored)
  • Bakery foods (cookies, cakes, etc.) that are non-perishable
  • Allergen information –
    • If the food contains a major food allergen, it must state “Contains” followed by the name of the allergen. These include milk, egg, fish, Crustacean shellfish, tree nuts, wheat, peanuts, and soybeans. In the case of tree nuts, the specific type of nut should be listed (almonds, pecans, walnuts, etc.). This also applies to fish (bass flounder, or cod) and Crustacean shellfish (crab, lobster, and shrimp).

What cottage foods are NOT allowed?

  • Acidified foods, low-acid canned foods, and vacuum packaged foods are NOT permitted.

What if I want to sell food that is not on the approved cottage food list?

If you are selling and/or preparing food at a university-sponsored even that is not listed on the approved cottage food list, you will need to get a temporary food operations permit from Greene County Public Health. This food operation cannot be operated more than five consecutive days and no more than ten times a year (otherwise food operation will be licensed as a permanent or mobile food operation. To be approved as a temporary food operation, you must complete and submit a Letter of Intent, a State of Ohio Temporary Food License Application, and submit the $60 fee. Click here to get started: Greene County Public Health

Still unsure if you need a permit?

Click here for a helpful flow chart to determine if you need a temporary food permit or not. (PDF)


How can we help you?

For additional information please contact:  Department of Environmental Health and Safety

email:  |  Phone: 937-775-2215  |  Office: WSU Dayton Campus - Biological Sciences II, Room 047

Related Links