Wright State University's Asian/Hispanic/Native American Center cordially invites you the 2014 Lunar New Year celebration, the “Year of the Horse.”
Thursday, January 30, 2014
11:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Student Union Apollo Room
We are very excited to bring to campus the International Brotherhood of Magicians Competition finalist award-winner, Ms. Ying Li, to perform at the Lunar New Year. Her magic show consists of the following acts:
• Magic Candle (conjuring eight candles out of nowhere)
• Water and Fire (conjuring strings from burning paper to produce snow from
• putting the strings in a cup of water to generate signs like Happy New Year)
• Mystery of Red Wine (pouring plain water into newspaper and then conjuring red wine)
• Six Circles (connecting six circles and then breaking them apart)
• Flying Roses (using napkins to make roses and making them fly)
• Disappearing Poker Cards (conjuring cards out of nowhere) and many more...
The audience will be invited to come on stage to perform some magic tricks with Ms. Li.
At this event, we will also make presentations on the history, ritual and celebration of Chinese and Vietnamese New Year and the humorous, traditional, Vietnamese "Kitchen God Report." Additionally, the celebration offers games, Chinese calligraphy, fortune telling, music, arts and crafts, along with a souvenir booth with unique items and a traditional Vietnamese flower market. You can also take pictures in Chinese and Vietnamese traditional costumes in front of The Great Wall and Vietnamese New Year Marketplace backdrops.
Special Lunar New Year foods are available for purchase from Chartwells (General Tso's Chicken, Rice, New Year Noodles and Dumplings) at $5.00 per person.