International and Immigrant Resources

If you are an international student victim, you are protected under Title IX and the Clery Act just like any American student. This means that you have the right to receive support and resources, file a complaint, and/or report to campus or local police. Your student visa status may not be used to intimidate, force, or coerce your decision to report or not.  Most student visas require a full course-load (usually 12 units) in order to maintain eligibility. If you are struggling to maintain eligibility due to survivor trauma, the Office of Student Support Services may be able to assist with the university procedures for course load reductions.

University Center for International Education

The University Center for International Education can provide useful information regarding immigration status and referrals to campus support services. Questions regarding changes to other visa statuses, or legal options that fall outside of standard F-1 and J-1 student visas, or employer-sponsored work visas, may require consultation with student legal services or a qualified immigartion attorney.

Student Legal Services

There may be other visa options for victims of sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence and stalking, including VAWA petitions, U and T visas. Student Legal Services may be able to assist you with this paperwork and/or a referral to an immigration attorney.

Additional Resources 

Safety Planning for Immigrant Victims of Domestic Violence

Love is Respect - Legal Help for Undocumented Immigrants