Wright State University's Middle Childhood Education (MCE) program prepares educators to teach grades 4-9 students in two content areas. Teacher candidates choose these two content areas from Math, Language Arts, Social Studies, or Science. The B.S.Ed. in Middle Childhood does not lead to licensure. Teacher candidates must complete a graduate level program and state-mandated tests in order to be eligible for a license in Middle Childhood. Please visit our Master of Education and Graduate Level Licensure in MCE page for more information about the fifth year of the program.
What is Middle Childhood Education?
Students in grades 4-9 are transitioning from a self-contained primary classroom to the content specialization of high school. Middle Level Philosophy embraces the notion that middle grades teachers need to be developmentally responsive during this transition, addressing the unique developmental needs of young adolescents. This often is demonstrated with interdisciplinary teaming, flexible scheduling, integrated curriculum, and special programs to meet the social-emotional needs of young adolescents.
What are the features of Wright State's MCE program?
- We are nationally recognized by the Association for Middle Level Education (AMLE).
- The five-year program approach allows our teacher candidates to focus and specialize in their content areas during their B.S.Ed. program and then focus more on the art of teaching in the fifth year M.Ed program.
- Our program prepares a well-rounded teacher candidate. Our teacher candidates are exposed to more than their two chosen content concentration areas. They all take a required series of math, science, social studies, and literacy courses.
- Our program provides more classroom experiences that similar programs at other universities. Our teacher candidates are required to be in a classroom during three different semesters during the B.S.Ed. and for the entire school year in one assigned classroom for their M.Ed.
- 30 semester credit hours of college coursework
- Cumulative minimum GPA of 2.5
For additional information: