There is an unprecedented growth in data collected by all types of organizations, for various scientific, medical, financial, and other purposes, as a result of activities in interconnected world including our social activities on the Web, by using sensors and other high throughput devices on or around individuals and around the globe, and so on. This has given rise to Big Data, characterized by 5Vs (Volume, Velocity, Variety, Veracity and Value). Smart Data is about intelligent processing of Big Data for improved insights and decision making for enterprises and individuals. Data Sciences is about creative approach, methodologies and techniques that span data acquisition to analysis and applications. This unique certificate in Big and Smart Data Sciences will equip a Computer Science & Engineering student in pursuing a highly sought after Data Scientist's career in managing Big Data and helping create Smart Data enabled applications for enterprises and individuals.
Students must meet the modified MS Admissions requirements as follows:
- A B.S. degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering or Information Sciences
- Minimum GPA 3.0
- Minimum combined GRE 298
- A student with a B.S. degree in science or engineering will be conditionally admitted to the certificate program with the requirement to complete the core courses (CS-5100 Data Structures and Algorithms, and CEG-6350 OS Internals and Design).
- GRE requirement is waived for an applicant, if the applicant
- is a Wright State ECS graduate with minimum GPA 3.3, or
- has a graduate degree in science or engineering from a U.S. institution of higher education, or
- is a non-degree graduate student who has accumulated 9 or more hours of CS/CEG graduate courses and has minimum GPA 3.3, or
- has 3 or more years work experience in software development/analysis.
For additional information: