This course focuses on the practical process of creating an ownership transition/exit strategy designed to define and meet exit objectives (financial and otherwise).
The program begins with specifically addressing and quantifying the owners goals, and assess the participant’s current level of preparedness for what will very likely be the biggest financial event of his/her life.
Subsequent classes focus on a disciplined approach to crafting a successful exit strategy. Plan elements include an in depth look at business valuation, and the value drivers necessary to help fill the “gap” between objectives and reality; specific ways to protect value, including the role of tax strategies; an understanding the mergers and acquisitions market, and how to prepare your Company; the advantages, pitfalls, and approaches to an “inside” ownership transition; the importance of a concise business continuity plan to protect your Company from worst case scenarios; and the necessity of addressing personal wealth and estate planning as part of the planning cycle.
Classes will be guided by a Certified Exit Planning Advisor, and augmented with legal, accounting, finance, tax, estate and M&A expert commentary. Reading materials, as well as class “assignments” will be part of the curriculum. Sensitivity to participant confidentiality will be addressed.
- Understanding of the importance of creating tangible exit objectives
- Why cash flow and value planning play a critical role
- Strategies to co-op key management team into your exit strategy
- How management succession planning dovetails with broader exit objectives
- How to protect your business, and family, during and after the planning cycle
- Why the proper advisors are critical
- Assessment of your “exit preparedness” before and after the class
- Creation of a personalized “roadmap” of your specific exit plan