PURCHASE ENTERPRISE STORAGE
Wright State University has been a pioneer in the use of enterprise storage. Enterprise storage is a large storage unit capable of supplying disk storage to a large number of servers via fiber optic or network cables. WSU has approximately 250 servers connected to a single storage unit. This allows for maximum efficiency, maximum protection of data and the highest level of functionality. See below for more detailed information about enterprise storage and WSU's pricing structure.
Major Uses of Enterprise Disk Storage
- Server Storage: Disk storage directly attached to a server where it's operating system, programs and data reside. Servers residing in the CaTS computer room can use external storage attached by fiber or by network.
- Network Drives: End user storage accessed by a drive mapping or as a share. Home and shared drives are available to all faculty and staff. Other network space is available for particular projects and functions.
- Databases: A wide variety of student, financial, administrative and research data is housed in Oracle and SQL data bases.
- Archive Data A number of academic and administrative departments have extensive archives which Include Library Digital Archives, Desire to Learn, Video Surviellance, Video Streaming, Digital Documents and Classroom Video Capture.
- Bulk Space: Space usually accessed as a share to hold large amounts of data. CaTS offers two types of mass storage which vary in size from 100 GB to several terabytes.
Advantages of Enterprise Storage
- The price is a one-time charge which covers all future upgrades.
- Fully redundant hardware.
- Fully redundant power with generator backup.
- All data is backed up nightly and stored off-site for disaster recovery.
- Monitored 24x7x365 with full vendor support.
- All issues are handled by CaTS staff.
- Enterprise storage uses de-duplication and archiving to reduce size and cost to the end user.
- One-time Charge: Once the storage space is purchased there is no future charge for upgrades made to the storage infrastructure. When older equipment is replaced and as new technology is acquired, data is migrated at no charge.
Storage Pricing Structure
CaTS offers several types of disk storage that are available for purchase to faculty and staff. The information below explains what is available and at what cost.
|$7000 per terabyte - one time||Fiber Channel||Full Service|
|$3000 per terabyte - one time||SATA||Full Service|
|$1500 per terabyte - one time||SAS||Medium Service|
|$100 per gigabyte - one time||Home/Shared||Full Service|
- Backed Up Nightly
- Offsite Disaster Recovery Copies
- 24 Hour Monitoring
- 4hr Support Response
- Nightly Snap Copy Backups
- No Offsite Copies
- Next Business Day Support Response
Storage Purchase Procedure
Call the CaTS Help Desk at (937) 775-4827 and ask to speak to the Storage Administrator about purchasing disk space. Once the type of space needed is determined, the process can usually be completed within 48 hours.