On this page:

General Information

The Inter-University Counsel Insurance Consortium was formed by a majority of Ohio's public colleges and universities in order to realize benefits from the group purchase of property and liability insurance. Wright State University became a part of this group purchase program with the purpose of reducing the impact of underwriting, pricing, servicing, and coverage limitations. Through collaboration and cooperation, Wright State University has achieved long-term benefits by becoming a part of the IUCIC.

IUCIC Coverage

The following is a brief summary of the IUCIC coverage. The summary is not intended to provide limits, deductibles or premium information.

  • Auto Physical Damage: Provides damage protection for university owned, leased, loaned, or rented vehicles.
  • Automobile Liability: Provides bodily injury and property damage protection for claims arising from the operation of university vehicles. It also provides excess liability coverage for employees using personal vehicles for university business.
  • Crime: Provides protection against employee theft, forgery/alteration, robbery, computer fraud, etc.
  • Cyber Risk: Provides protection against breach of confidential customer information, cyber extortion, failure of systems to prevent spread of virus or a denial of service to those that rely on systems due to a failure in network security.
  • Educator's Legal Liability: Provides protection for legal defense costs and settlement amounts/expenses for liability claims made for actual or alleged errors, misstatements, acts, omissions, etc.
  • Employee Benefit Liability: Provides protection against liability claims arising from the administration of the University's employee benefits program.
  • Excess/Umbrella Liability: Provides excess liability protections for bodily injury and property damage liability covered by Wright State University's basic underlying insurance.
  • Foreign Liability: Provides protection against general liability exposures outside the United States.
  • General Liability: Provides protection subject to varying terms, conditions and limits for bodily injury and property damage, personal injury liability, advertising injury liability and medical expenses.
  • Law Enforcement Liability: Provides the University and its police and security officers protection against liability claims arising out of law enforcement activities.
  • Property: Provides protection for the physical loss or damage to property in which the University has an insurable interest and the cause of which is the result of an insured peril.

Other Insurance

Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Disability, & Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance

Visit the Human Resources website for more information.

Medical Professional Liability

Contact Lura Clapper at (937) 775-3908 for more information.

Pollution Legal Liability

Provides protection for legal defense costs, and clean up of pollution conditions, third party bodily injury, and property damage.

Student Health

Visit the Student Health Services website for more information.

Workers' Compensation

Visit the Human Resources website for more information or contact Office of General Counsel at 937-775-2803.


Certificates of Insurance

A certificate of insurance validates the existence of an insurance policy. It may be issued by an issuer or an insurance agent or broker. A certificate of insurance should include the following:

  • Name of the insurance company and policy number
  • Policy period
  • Name of the insured and address
  • Description of coverage
  • Description and locations of operation
  • Name and address of certificate holder
  • Policy limits
  • Notice of cancellation provision
  • Authorized signature and date

Certificates to Other Parties

University groups using non-University facilities are often required to furnish a certificate of insurance evidencing the existence of insurance coverage by the University. To request a certificate of insurance, complete the Certificate of Insurance form and send it to the Office of Risk Management, Lura Clapper. Be sure your information includes the name and address of the party requesting it, the purpose of Wright State University's use, and the dates for which coverage is required.

Certificates from Other Parties

When others are contractually required to provide the University with a certificate of insurance, a copy of the certificate should be sent to the relevant department and to the Office of Risk Management.

Memorandum of Insurance

A Memorandum of Insurance (MOI) provides information about a company's insurance program. This information includes policy numbers, limits, and insurance companies. The MOI has no signature and the certificate holder's name is not shown. Also, the MOI does not have the standard cancellation wording that is contained on a Certificate of Insurance. Marsh, Wright State's insurance broker, makes additional information and a printable MOI available from their website. To view and/or print visit the Marsh website.

Claims/Loss Reporting

Automobile Claims Reporting

  • Incidents or claims involving university owned, leased, loaned, or rented vehicles are to be reported to the employee's supervisor and the Office of Risk Management, Lura Clapper, (937) 775-3908.
  • A copy of the Motor Vehicle Accident Reporting Kit (PDF) should be placed in all university owned, leased, loaned, and rented vehicles.   It contains a  form for reporting an accident.  In the event of an accident, the form must be completed and forwarded to the Office of Risk Management, Lura Clapper, (937) 775-3908 as soon as reasonably possible after the incident.
  • If the incident occurs on campus, the campus police must be notified.
  • If the incident occurs off campus, the appropriate law enforcement agency is to be contacted.
  • If another party causes damage to a university owned, leased, loaned, or rented vehicle, the Wright State University will seek to recover the damages from the responsible party.
  • The University's insurer does not cover damage to personal belongings of vehicle occupants.
  • The University's insurer does not cover damage to personal vehicles of employees or students used on university business. The insurance company covering the vehicle is considered primary for both auto liability and physical damage exposures.

General Liability Claims Reporting

Incidents involving bodily injury or property damage to a third party require immediate notification to the Office of Risk Management, Lura Clapper, (937) 775-3908, who is responsible for notifying the appropriate insurance carrier. In addition, all incidents involving an injury or illness that occurs to an individual on any university owned or leased property or that occurs during a university sponsored activity, regardless of location, must be reported to the Department of Environmental Health and Safety. University Policy 13275 (Reporting Injuries and Illnesses) provides complete instructions for filing a report. Visit our Forms and Policies page.

Property and Equipment Loss Reporting

  • The University has property insurance to protect against direct physical loss or damage to its real or personal property from events such as theft, fire, windstorm, lightening, hail, explosion, or flood. Any applicable deductibles are the responsibility of the department incurring the loss. Reimbursement will not exceed the cost to replace, repair, or restore the item to the condition that existed immediately before the loss.
  • It is the department's responsibility to notify the Office of Risk Management, Lura Clapper, (937) 775-3908 of a claim by filing a Property Loss Report.
  • For equipment losses, a copy of the original purchasing documents (DPO, 1200 form, Procard Statement, and/or Invoice) is required to value the claim.
  • A police report must be filed on all claims involving theft and/or vandalism, or on any other claim of a suspicious nature.
  • The University is not responsible for the loss of or damage to personal property of employees or students. It is expected that these items would be insured through an individual's home insurance policy.

Cash Losses

All cash losses should be reported to campus police and to Internal Controls and Audit Services. That department may perform an audit to verify the amount of cash loss and make a recommendation as to the possible reimbursement of the amount of loss.

Tenants' and Users' Liability Insurance Policy (TULIP)

The TULIP is a Tenants' and Users' Liability Insurance Policy, also known as "Events Coverage." It is intended to provide general liability insurance to users of Wright State University facilities for specific events.

It protects both the Facility User and the university against claims by third parties who may be injured or lose property as a result of participating in an event. Events may range from very low risk events such as classroom seminars, receptions, or weddings to higher risk events including festivals and fairs, sports events, or concerts.

Who Needs Events Coverage ?

Any individual or organization who intends to use a facility owned by WSU as a venue for their event needs a Tenants' and Users' Liability Insurance Policy. For example, Beavercreek Public Schools wants to host a Bus Driver conference at the Nutter Center Berry Room. BPS would need events coverage. Other users may have affiliation with the university but are still considered third parties even though the event may be "sponsored" by university student or faculty organizations. For example, the International Students' Union holds an international food fair, or the History Department sponsors the Civil War Historians Association's Annual Conference. The History department is providing staff to assist with the conference, however, it is the CWH Association that is booking the event and paying for it. Therefore, the Civil War Historians Association would need to show proof of event coverage as a Tenants' and Users' Liability Insurance Policy. 

There MUST be a third party user, vendor(s), or performer(s) to qualify. Wright State University is insured for its operational general liability risks and may not transfer this to the Tenants' and Users' Liability Insurance Policy.

Excluded Events

Not all activities are covered by a TULIP. The following activities are some that are specifically excluded: aircraft events; bicycle races, rallies, and events; boat shows; circuses; events with attendance of over 5,000; events with prior losses; fireworks; haunted houses; laser tag; mechanical amusement devices, such as mechanical bulls; overnight camping and retreats; marathons/walkathons; political rallies; rodeo and roping events; paint ball; pyrotechnics; rummage sales (other than for charities); skateboarding; swimming and pool facilities; tractor pulls; water events; water slides.

For more information regarding Tenants' and Users' Liability Insurance Policies, please contact Lura Clapper in the office of Risk Management at (937) 775-3908.