Frequently Asked Questions


  • How do I become authorized to drive a WSU vehicle or rent a car to use for "University business"?

    An Electronic Driver Application Form (e-DAF) should be completed online by the prospective driver.  Please see the Driver Resources Overview tab for the link to the e-DAF.  The primary approver is the applicant's supervisor.  Please enter your driver's license number accurately on the form.  For those with an Ohio issued drivers license card the license number is 2 alpha characters followed by 6 numbers (no spaces).  Inaccurate information entered will delay the review process.  Be sure to read and understand the Summary of Consumer Rights provided with the form. Checking the box on the form gives Risk Management permission to access your Motor Vehicle Record (MVR).  Please familiarize yourself with University Policy 9210, University Owned, Leased, Loaned, Rented, and Privately Owned Vehicles.

  • How can I get an automobile insurance ID card or an automobile accident packet?

    You can obtain an ID card from the link embedded in your Driver Application Status email you will receive upon approval. Also you may request one from this office by contacting Lura Clapper at 775-3908.

    You may print a Motor Vehicle Accident Reporting Kit packet from this website on our Forms page. 

  • Does WSU insurance cover me driving my own car while conducting university business and if not, why not?

    No, and here's why not. There are two primary reasons; first, auto insurance coverage “follows the vehicle”, meaning that the insurance coverage is legally linked to the vehicle it is purchased for and second, WSU may only cover what is allowed by law. According to Ohio Revised Code, public institutions like WSU are directed to use all other sources of coverage first. So in the case of a privately owned vehicle, the private coverage is first in line or primary for paying a claim. Only if the claim amount exceeds other existing primary sources, will WSU’s insurance be involved.

  • How is insurance coverage provided to me when driving a rental car on WSU business?

    When you rent a vehicle through the university's preferred provider, Enterprise, the rental rate includes full liability and collision coverage with no deductible. However, if you rent a vehicle from a non-preferred provider, general liability coverage must be purchased in addition to the rental fee. The university requires insurance in amounts of no less than $100K/$300K/$50K. In addition, in the event of an accident or damage to the vehicle a deductible may have to be paid by the department depending on the type of vehicle and whether a Pro Card was used to pay for the vehicle. The university's insurance policy comes into play only when the insurance limits provided by the rental company are exceeded. In addition, the university's deductible amount is $1,000, so any damage valued at less than that would not be covered.

  • If a WSU driver is driving a WSU vehicle (owned, leased or loaned) and gets into an accident will WSU pay for the other person’s injuries?

    When an employee is driving while conducting university business, Workman’s Compensation will be the primary source for recovering injury claims. Again, this is due to Ohio Revised Code, which directs WSU to use all other sources of coverage first. For the involved passengers or third parties who are not directly employed by WSU their existing medical insurance will be the first in line for paying claims.

  • What do I do if I have an accident: While driving a WSU vehicle?

    You should immediately call the police. Then, as soon as possible, apprise your supervisor and the Office of Risk Management, Lura Clapper, 775-3908. The Accident Report Kit should be completed and sent to the Office of Risk Management. See University Policy 9210 for more information.

  • What do I do if I have an accident: While driving my own car on WSU business?

    You should call the police and advise your supervisor. Then, contact your auto insurance carrier. See University Policy 9210 for more information.

  • Does WSU insurance cover loss of University-owned equipment transported in a private vehicle if my auto policy doesn't?

    Yes, if the university's equipment is damaged or destroyed in an auto accident while being transported, the Auto Physical Damage portion of our policy would cover the loss and require the department to pay a $1,000 deductible.

    If the equipment were stolen from your car, then the loss would come under our Property coverage where the deductible is $100,000. On property worth less than $100,000, the department would be responsible for paying the replacement value.

General Insurance

  • Does WSU's insurance cover loss to personal property of employees /students/volunteers?

    No, a loss of or damage to personal property would likely be covered under a homeowner's or renter's insurance policy.

  • Does WSU insurance cover me as a professional while I am working?

    Yes, as long as you are considered a WSU employee, a WSU Student, or a volunteer performing duties related to the conduct of the University's activities.

  • Does WSU insurance cover students working in a practicum/internship?

    Yes, as long as the student is participating in a program that is a part of their educational requirements.

Certificate of Insurance

  • I've been asked for a certificate of insurance. What is that and how do I get one?

    University groups using non-University facilities are sometimes required to provide evidence of the University's insurance coverage. To request one, a written request or email should be sent to Lura Clapper. Please complete the Certification of Insurance Request Form, which is available on our Forms page. The request should include the name and address of the party requesting the certificate, the purpose of Wright State University's use, and the dates for which coverage is required.

  • I received a certificate of insurance from an off-campus party I'm dealing with. What should I do with it?

    Please send the original to Lindsay Love, but be sure to keep a copy for your records.