We're excited that you are thinking about coming to Wright State University in Dayton, Ohio, U.S.A.! At Wright State, you can get an excellent, accredited education in an environment with personal support and vibrant student life.
COVID-19 Language Testing
- During the current COVID-19 pandemic, the international admissions team will accept a Duolingo English test score of 110 or higher in place of other English language proficiency requirements.
- If you have graduated from a school in a country where English is the official language for higher education, you will not be required to demonstrate English proficiency.
To apply to Wright State University, you must have earned a certificate of completion from a secondary education school that would allow you to attend university in your home country. You should have studied mathematics and science subjects at the secondary level.
Are you currently in high school or other secondary education?
You must have a 2.5 cumulative grade point average (on a 4.0 scale) and a minimum score of English proficiency from one of these tests:
- TOEFL:- 61
- TOEFL home:- 61
- IELTS: 5.5 with no subscore lower than 5.0
- IELTS indicator: 5.5 with no subscore lower than 5.0
- Pearson PTE: 51
- Cambridge test: Minimum scaled score of 162, with no subscore below 154, on the Cambridge English Qualifications.
- SAT combined score of 510 on the evidence-based reading and writing portion.
- Satisfactory completion of LEAP level 4 TOEFL Waiver Track
- Graduation from a United States high school
International degree-seeking applicants whose native language is not English and who do not have a diploma from a U.S. senior high school accredited by the department of education of the state or territory in which it is located must demonstrate proficiency in English.
English proficiency may be demonstrated by meeting required threshold scores on proficiency tests, such as SAT, vetted, and recommended by TESOL faculty and approved by the International Education Advisory Committee (IEAC).
Some of our colleges or programs have a higher English proficiency requirement.
College of Engineering and Computer Science: minimum TOEFL 71
English major: minimum TOEFL 79; minimum IELTS 6.5 or minimum Pearson 58
Are you an academic transfer student?
- You must have a 2.0 cumulative grade point average (on a 4.0 scale) on all previous undergraduate work.
- You must have a 2.0 cumulative grade point average (on a 4.0) scale from the last college/university that you took nine semester credits (12 quarter hours).
- If you were academically dismissed or suspended students, you are not eligible to enroll at Wright State University for one calendar year from the date of the dismissal.
International applicants who transfer from a U.S. college or university may demonstrate English proficiency by completing 24 hours or more of credit coursework taught in English with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or above. You must take at least one course in English composition (the equivalent of Wright State University's English 1100 course) with a C or better.