University Staff Council Minutes
Wednesday, May 19, 2004
2:30-4:00 pm , Room 267 University Hall
Present: Council Members: Donna Curtin, Linda Dunbar, Mary Healea, Joyce Howes, Patti Manning, Daisy Stieger, and Susan Wehmeyer.
Other: Bill Rickert, Keith Ralston
The University Staff Council met on May 19, 2004 , at 2:30-4:00 pm , in Room 267 University Hall.
Council Name Change - The University Staff Council will have its name changed to WSU Staff Council beginning 2004-05.
Retiree Privileges – Bill Rickert distributed a letter that will be sent to retirees explaining that they will have access to WSU Library privileges as well as an email account with the university, but not modem access to WSU's Internet account. Retirees are to make their request to Stephen Foster, University Librarian.
Budget Presentation – Keith Ralston, Associate Vice President for Budget Planning and Resource Analysis, presented a general overview of WSU's Current Funds Budget for Fiscal Year 2004-05.
1. The tuition increase for part-time students will be less than for full-time so as to lessen the added costs students incur when they earn a degree by attending part-time.
2. Health insurance costs will go up about 15% next year. The university is considering options to keep costs down. One option is self-insurance by the university instead of bids from health insurance providers. This would probably be less expensive, and differences won't be noticed by employees. It's just a different way to finance the insurance.
3. Mike O'Neal, U. Staff Council member, will be leaving WSU for a new position. He will need to be replaced on the council.
4. Minutes will be handled more formally next year.
5. Slight revisions to Minutes of March 10, 2004 were discussed and made. A revised copy will be distributed at next meeting.
The next Meeting will be held on Wednesday, June 9, 2004 , at 2:30-4:00 pm , in Room 267 University Hall.