Wright State University
Graduate Catalog
Archived content: For current catalog information, please go to catalog.wright.edu

Table of Concents
about wsu


Graduate Degrees, Programs, Licensure, and Credit

The Grading System

Academic achievement is indicated by the following letter grades and points used in calculating grade point averages.

AHighest quality/4 points per credit hour
BSecond quality/3 points per credit hour
CThird quality/2 points per credit hour
DLowest quality/1 point per credit hour
FFailure/0 points
XFailure to complete a course for which registered, without officially withdrawing/0 points (figured as an F in the grade point average)
 The following symbols appear on the record, but are not included in calculating grade point averages.
LAudit; given only if arranged for at time of registration.
NNo report; instructor did not report grade.
PPassing; indicates work of B quality or better for graduate courses; given only for specially approved courses. (Credit is earned but is not computed in grade point averages.)
MSatisfactory progress; final grade will be assigned upon completion of the project. The satisfactory M grade will be assigned only to courses that are of a continuing nature, such as research and thesis courses. Normally the number of these courses ends in _99, such as 799, 899, or 999. The M grade will not be contained in the grading format of all nonsequence courses. The School of Graduate Studies and the RegistrarÍs Office will ensure that requests for M grades within the grading formats will be confined to continuing or sequence courses.
UUnsatisfactory performance; indicates work of C quality or below for graduate courses; given only for specifically approved courses.
IIncomplete; given only when part of required work is missing and arrangements have been made with the instructor to complete the work. Incomplete ("I") grades are reported to the Registrar's Office on the grade report sheet. An Incomplete grade agreement between the instructor and the student is not required. The "I" grade may remain on the student's academic record for up to two consecutive quarters. This policy does not prohibit instructors from awarding an "I" grade for a lesser period of time. The student will have to make up an Incomplete grade by the date the instructor has stipulated or, if no date was stipulated, no later than the last day of classes of the second quarter. Failure to make up an Incomplete grade will result in it being changed to a grade of "F."

Instructors may extend, one time only, the "I" grade for up to an additional two consecutive quarters by submitting a grade change form to the Registrar's Office. If an "I" grade is awarded or an extension is granted for less than two quarters, the instructor must advise the student of the time period. If an "I" grade is assigned or an extension is granted for a period less than two quarters, then it will be the responsibility of the instructor, after the specified period has expired, to assign a grade to the student by submitting a grade change form to the Registrar's Office.
WWithdrew; given for courses from which the student officially withdrew or dropped during the fourth through fifth weeks of classes or equivalent or for which the student successfully petitioned for withdrawal.
  Grade reports are sent at the end of each quarter to the addresses on file in the Registrar's Office.

School of Graduate Studies
E344 Student Union
Voice: (937) 775-2976
Fax: (937) 775-2453
E-mail: wsugrad@wright.edu
Page Divider
[ Graduate Catalog Home | School of Graduate Studies Home | WSU Home ]
Page Divider