Paul Laurence Dunbar Library
Library Research Guides for Biomedical Sciences
- Entrez is a search and retrieval system that integrates information
from databases at NCBI. These databases include nucleotide sequences,
protein sequences, macromolecular structures, whole genomes, and
MEDLINE, through PubMed.
European Molecular Biology Organization
- The EMBO Journal is dedicated to the publication of manuscripts
from the field of molecular biology in its broadest sense. To
be acceptable, manuscripts should contain novel results of significant
general interest that provide new functional insight into molecular
or cellular processes.
Protein Analysis System)
- A server of the Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics (SIB) dedicated
to the analysis of protein sequences and structures as well as
The Genome Database
- GDB's mission is to make available to scientists an encyclopedia
of the human genome that is being constantly revised and updated
to reflect the current state of scientific knowledge. Although
GDB has historically focussed on gene mapping, as the Genome Project
moves from mapping to sequence to functional analysis, GDB's focus
will be broadened. Extensions are under development in the representation
of sequence-level genome content, including sequence variations,
along with richer descriptions of function and phenotype.
National Center for Biotechnology Information
- Established in 1988 as a national resource for molecular biology
information, NCBI creates public databases, conducts research
in computational biology, develops software tools for analyzing
genome data, and disseminates biomedical information - all for
the better understanding of molecular processes affecting human
health and disease.
(National Cancer Institute) PDQ
(Physician Data Query)
- PDQ, NCI's comprehensive cancer database, contains peer-reviewed
summaries on cancer treatment, screening, prevention, genetics,
and supportive care; a registry of approximately 1,800 open and
10,300 closed cancer clinical trials from around the world; and
directories of physicians, professionals who provide genetics
services, and organizations that provide cancer care.
Community of Science
- Products and services for promoting research, finding funding,
accessing experts, consulting, and collaborating with colleagues.
Researchers rely on COS to help them stay current on research
activities, news and publications; track funded research; and
purchase supplies and services that are relevant to their work.
- Search for protocols used in molecular biology, cell biology,
immunology, developmental biology.
- Combined site with Entrez (above).
Careers in Science
- The Careers in Science page hasn't been updated recently, but
the employment links themselves are kept current.
National Institutes of Health
- General information, funding, news, resources, institutes and
centers making up the NIH.
Protein Data Bank (PDB)
- Research Collaboratory for Structural Bioinformatics. The PDB
is the single international repository for the processing and
distribution of 3-D macromolecular structure data primarily determined
Online journals Journal
of Biological Chemistry
Nucleic Acids Research
Proceedings of the National Academy
of Sciences USA
Molecular and Cellular Biology
- American Association for Cancer Research
These sites are recommended by WSU professors in the BMS PhD Program.
Downloading may be restricted to authorized users, although browsing
is permitted in a number of ways. Some sites have access to related
journals of interest. New users will be guided as to site use. Accessibility
is acquired through:
- WSU library subscription with a WSU connection to the web
- Membership in the related professional organization
- Individual subscription
- Direct purchase online