September 25, 2008
Paul Hernandez, Verne Smith, Jonathan Smith, Byron Duval (for Greg Kojola), Ron Dorsten, Chuck Taylor, Brent Foy, Barbara Denison, Todd Brittingham, Dan DeStephen, Denise Anderson, Scott Rife, Stephen Foster, Katherine Myers and Carol Holdcraft
Approval of Minutes
Minutes of the April meeting were approved.
- Windows Vista and PC Equipment Updates -The university is still on track to transition to Windows Vista for new equipment. The university will be adopting new HP laptop models in mid-October. The HP 6930p and 8530p will come standard with Windows Vista Enterprise. Desktop computer models are planned to be updated in December. The new HP 7900 desktops will come with Windows Vista by default when these new models are added to the university's recommended products list. Windows XP may be requested on new desktop machines after the introduction of the new models. Windows XP is not recommended for the new laptops.
- Scott gave an update on the WINGS upgrade, the problems encountered and CaTS response. The normal concurrent capacity on WINGS before the upgrade was approximately 1,600 – 1,800 users. After the upgrade, the capacity was limited to 1,500 users. To ease the problem, CaTS changed the timeout from 2-hours to 30-minutes. This limited the disruption to campus until the cause of the problems can be determined and resolved.
- Scott also discussed the Communications Express open issues as a result of the upgrade. CaTS is continuing to work with the vendor to resolve these problems as soon as possible.
- WINGS Redesign: CaTS continues to work on a redesign of the WINGS portal scheduled for deployment in December, 2008. Denise gave a Powerpoint presentation to preview the new look of this project (Attachment).
- By the beginning of Fall Quarter, 2008, CTL completed a number of technology-enhanced classrooms. This will be an on-going project as classroom space continues to be a problem.
- CTL reported a surge at the beginning of Fall Quarter in on-line courses based on the number of requests for on-line course packets.
The next scheduled UTC meeting will be held on Thursday, October 23, 2008 from 3 – 4pm in 342 Library Conference Room. PLEASE NOTE THE CHANGE IN ROOM LOCATION FOR THIS MONTH’S MEETING