Unclassified Staff Advisory Council
Thursday, November 14, 2013
157E Student Union
In Attendance: Chris Bethel, Pam Bowers, Misty Cox, Jonathan Jackson, Audwin Jones, Megan McCurdy, Liane Muhlenkamp, Sheila Nahrgang, Aaron Skira, Craig This, Sommer Todd, Jeff Wehmeyer
Absent with Regrets: Jenny Papadakis, Cindy Vanzant
Absent: Bev Denlinger, David Finnie, Steven Johnson, Susan Kracus, Gretchen Rentz, Jacqueline Robinson, Courtney Smith, Melissa Vanzant, Valita Wilhoite, Ranee Wyer
Call to Order: Audwin Jones called the meeting to order at 9:02am.
- New Business
- Update on Search Committees
- Associate Vice President for Human Resources
- Last meeting was October 12, 2013
- A google search indicated that one of the candidates selected for on campus visits accepted a position with Iowa State
- Vice President for Enrollment Management and Marketing
- 4 candidates selected for on-campus visits
- Final open forum next week - November 18, 2013
- Director of Disability Services
- Open forums completed
- 3 candidates are presented on the website
- Intend to have someone announced by the week of Thanksgiving – with a target start date of January 1, 2014
- Raidersgiving Update
- Thursday, November 28, 2013 from 12:00-2:00pm at the Campus Ministry Building
- 39 students have RSVP’d to the event
- Less than 10 attended last year
- Students are bringing food this year
- All recipes must be printed for food allergy concerns
- Raffle items
- Dayton Art Exhibit, Dayton Dragons, Franco’s Italian Restaurant, Thirty-One,
- Jamie Norris will collect items prior to the event
- 2014 Performance Appraisals
- Letter from Dr. Hopkins
- New period of work to be assessed is April 1 – March 30
- Still considering automated process
- Wellness Program Challenge
- Everyone is eligible to win a Samsung Galaxy
- 2 weigh-ins on November 15, 2013 and January 15, 2013
- Rely on the Honor System
- Faculty/ Staff Appreciation Night
- Basketball game is Friday, January 17 at 7:00pm versus Wisconsin Green Bay
- Activities start at 6:00pm
- Tickets go on sale Dec. 2 – Dec. 16
- Every employee gets 2 tickets, with the option to purchase additional tickets at $10 a piece
- T-shirt and goodies included
- Old Business
- Open Enrollment feedback
- Majority of USAC reps have already enrolled
- Employee must enroll or they will be bumped down to the minimum insurance coverage
- 48% of benefit eligible faculty and staff have enrolled
- Employee complaints regarding the lack of confirmation from HR once enrolled
- Employees are concerned that, without confirmation, they have no way of verifying that the enrollment process was completed properly
- 2014 Winter Break Policy reminder
- University closed Tuesday, December 24 – Tuesday, January 1, 2013
- 3 paid Holidays, 2 paid Winter Leave days
- Remaining 2 days are the responsibility of the employee
- Option to take unpaid leave or vacation
- MDA Model Update
- Unaware of any changes in the MDA budget model process.
- Intend to invite Dr. Berberich, Associate Provost for Faculty and Staff Affairs to the next USAC meeting.
- Committee Updates (postponed from October 10, 2013 meeting)
- USAC subcommittees
- Bylaws and Charter: No report.
- The 10-day clause regarding impromptu meetings seems prohibitive
- USAC will review the bylaws prior to the next meeting for issues/concerns
- Community Service: No report.
- Compensation, Benefits, and Equity: No report.
- Communications and Marketing: No report.
- Nominations / Fundraising: No report.
- University committees
- Athletic Council: Meeting on November 22, 2013. No report until then.
- Dining Services: No report.
- Parking Services: No report.
- Sustainability: No report.
- University Diversity Advisory Council: No report.
- Wellness and Recreation: No report.
- WSU Bookstore Committee:
- Local operation of Barnes & Noble contributes:
- $25K to ArtsGala
- $25K to student initiatives
- 20% of the profits from bookstore merchandise sold at home basketball games goes to University Athletics
- 5- year contract with B&N
- $550K committed to WSU
- Questions or issues from other unclassified staff in attendance
- Schedule Reminders
- Online Open Enrollment Cutoff – Tuesday, November 19, 2013
- Raidersgiving – Thursday, November 28, 2013, 12:00 – 2:00 p.m., Campus Ministry Building
- University Closure – Thursday, November 28, 2013 & Friday, November 29, 2013
- Staff Council – Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 2:00 - 4:00 p.m., 267 University Hall
- USAC Meeting – Thursday, December 12, 2013, 9:00 – 10:30 a.m., E157 Student Union
- Jonathan Jackson adjourned the meeting at 10:16am
USAC: The purpose of the Unclassified Staff Advisory Council(USAC) is to represent its members to the university by: promoting their general welfare; advocating for unclassified staff through active participation in university governance structure; reviewing, initiating and making recommendation on relevant university policies and procedures; encouraging and facilitating communication among members; and encouraging professional development opportunities. One of the prime responsibilities of this council is to serve the educational community by creating and maintaining an environment conducive to the teaching, learning, research, and service functions of higher education. The recommendations of the council are submitted to the University President.