Unclassified Staff Advisory Council
Thursday, May 10, 2014
E156 Student Union
In Attendance: Chris Bethel, Shari Mickey-Boggs, Pam Bowers, Misty Cox, D.R. Fannin, Jonathan Jackson, Megan McCurdy, Liane Muhlenkamp, Laura Rapoch, Aaron Skira, Craig This, Sommer Todd, Cindy Vanzant, Jeff Wehmeyer.
Absent: Bev Denlinger, David Finnie, Adam Horseman, Steven Johnson, Audwin Jones, Shiela Nahrgang, Jenny Papadakis, Gretchen Rentz, Courtney Smith, Valita Wilhoite.
Call to Order: Jonathan Jackson, Chair-Elect, called the meeting to order at 9:04 a.m.
Approval of minutes: The minutes of the April 10, 2014 meeting were approved.
- Shari Mickey-Boggs, Associate Vice President and Chief Human Resources Officer
- Introductions of all USAC members/attendees
- Agenda for HR – spending first 90 days getting out to meet everyone on campus
- Formulating a new HR strategy
- Possible adoption of a new HR structure
- 6 key goals for FY 2015
- Build the HR team
- How do we best align with what is needed for the institution?
- Increase employee engagement
- HR chats – brief sessions by topic, 20 minutes of high level, 40 minutes of questions
- Performance Management – currently gathering data
- Biggest issue is the time frame – possibility to stretch it out over 8 or 10 weeks
- Partnership with Health and Wellness
- Enhance communication among University constituents
- Impact risk mitigation
- Foster continuous improvement – continuation of Appreciative Inquiry process
- Online open enrollment
- Uploading employee personnel files to the XTender portion of Banner
- Remaining agile to leadership needs
- This serves as a ‘catch-all’ goal
- Questions and/or comments from unclassified staff in attendance
- Current HR operation is more transaction based versus transformational based
- Hiring process length of time
- Integrate strategic hiring process into PeopleAdmin
- Lack of cross training among positions
- Staff Council HR subcommittee fallen out of use
- All staff council meet with HR to discuss issues that pertain solely to HR
- Consideration should be given to reinstate subcommittee
- Question of clarity between OD&L, HR, and Ombudsman
- Past perception of lack of customer service within HR
- Too much concerns with leadership needs and not concerned about the trenches
- What is our role in assessment of the Performance Mgmt instrument?
- Committee role is complete
- Emily Hamman is now gathering further information
- Committee Updates
- USAC Elections Update
- Election Schedule
- Nominations email went out this week
- Eligibility discussion
- VPs and AVPs are listed as eligible
- USAC should be a place for people that usually aren’t seen
- If you get promoted during USAC term, should you step down??
- Revise bylaws
- Bylaws committee will revise to include attendance expectations, nomination eligibility, spring information meeting
- USAC subcommittees
- Bylaws and Charter. Will meet prior to the next weekend to discuss proposed bylaw changes.
- Community Service. No report.
- Compensation, Benefits, and Equity.
- Salary comparison
- Question out to Payroll for bi-monthly pay consideration
- Plan to do market analysis for unclassified staff
- Position postings should happen all across the board
- Communications and Marketing. No report.
- Nominations / Fundraising. No report.
- University committees
- Athletic Council. No report.
- Dining Services.
- Lake Campus doesn’t have any Dining Services
- One-man shop.
- Parking Services.
- Parking is going up ‘substantially’
- Staff Development Day. No report.
- Sustainability. No report.
- University Diversity Advisory Council. No report.
- Lake Campus
- Graduation last weekend in a tent
- Dean Mathais is retiring
- Professional Development day next Friday
- Avoiding Burnout presentation
- Planting Community Garden
- Donated about 3200 lbs of produce to food pantries within the last couple years.
- Second building for housing is under construction.
- Wellness and Recreation. No report.
- WSU Bookstore Committee
- Barnes and Noble coming out with a new digital platform for textbooks
- YUZU application is in development stages
Questions or issues from other unclassified staff in attendance?
- USAC Nominations – Tuesday, May 6, 2014 – Friday, May 16, 2014
- USAC Elections – Monday, May 26 – Friday, June 6, 2014
- Staff Council Meeting – Wednesday, June 11, 2014, 2:00 – 4:00 p.m., 267 University Hall
- USAC Meeting – Thursday, June 12, 2014, 9:00 – 10:30 a.m., E157 Student Union
Adjourn Meeting: Jonathan Jackson, Chair-elect, adjourned the meeting at 10:41 a.m.
USAC: The purpose of the Unclassified Staff Advisory Council(USAC) is to represent its members to the university by: promoting their general welfare; advocating for unclassified staff through active participation in university governance structure; reviewing, initiating and making recommendation on relevant university policies and procedures; encouraging and facilitating communication among members; and encouraging professional development opportunities. One of the prime responsibilities of this council is to serve the educational community by creating and maintaining an environment conducive to the teaching, learning, research, and service functions of higher education. The recommendations of the council are submitted to the University President.