Unclassified Staff Advisory Council
Thursday, April 10, 2014
E156 Student Union
In Attendance: Chris Bethel, Pam Bowers, Misty Cox, Tanya Davis, Adam Horseman, Jonathan Jackson, Steven Johnson, Audwin Jones, Megan McCurdy, Jenny Papadakis, Aaron Skira, Craig This, Sommer Todd, Cindy Vanzant, Jeff Wehmeyer.
Absent: Bev Denlinger, David Finnie, Liane Muhlenkamp, Shiela Nahrgang, Gretchen Rentz, Courtney Smith, Valita Wilhoite.
- Call to Order: Jonathan Jackson, Chair-Elect, called the meeting to order at 9:01 a.m.
- Approval of minutes: The minutes of the March 13, 2014 meeting were approved.
- Peggy Bloom, University Wellness Director
- Currently laying a foundation for a University Wellness program designed on employee needs and wants
- Working closely with Anthem to ensure employees are utilizing the full benefits offered
- Official Wellness Program launch on Thursday, May 1, 2014
- Cash incentive based program
- Employee will receive incentive points for working out, drinking water, healthy eating, etc., if tracked in the online wellness portal
- Available to benefits eligible employees whether covered by WSU’s insurance policy or not
- Not linked to Anthem and, therefore participation will not affect insurance premiums
- More information will be sent out via email prior to the program launch
- Wellness Festival is scheduled for Wednesday, May 7, 2014 from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m., Student Union Atrium
- Approximately 30 vendors will be present
- Festival is designed to educate employees on the resources available but not fully utilized
- Developing a Wellness website
- Website will include recipes, fitness tutorials, health tidbits, etc.
- Looking to partner with the Recreation Center in an effort to reduce class fees, or to provide an incentive to use WSU’s facilities
- Planning to offer 6-8 fitness challenges a year with prizes valued at $150 - $200 per challenge
- Initiatives brought up in the discussion by meeting attendees included:
- Paid time off during working day to workout
- Wellness is working on a policy letter regarding flexibility of supervisors
- Opening the recreation center earlier during the week and on Sundays
- Healthier options with Chartwells
- Looking into implementing a color system. I.e. green dot for healthy foods, yellow for semi-healthy, and red for unhealthy
- According the Affordable Care Act, 51% of items in a vending machine should be healthy
- Open Forum Update
- Audwin Jones and Elizabeth Styers will meet with Dr. Berberich to ensure all questions are answered in a timely fashion
- Employees have expressed concerns with having open forums without resolution of the issues discussed
- With a USAC chair position that changes every year, it becomes difficult to reinvent the wheel
- Audwin would like to convene the past Chairs for some direction
- We need to focus on building relationships for mutual exchange
- USAC/CSAC/LSAC will work together to send out a survey to staff to gather likes and dislikes with regards to the forum
- This will help future open forums
- Recording of the Open Forum is available here
- Committee Updates
- USAC subcommittees
- Bylaws and Charter. No report.
- Community Service. No report.
- Compensation, Benefits, and Equity.
- CBES committee representatives met on April 8, 2014 and discussed:
- Workweek extensions beyond 40 hours for unclassified staff without additional compensation and concerns about after hour emails and texts about work-related issues.
- Salary comparison/market analysis with other IUC schools.
- Consider bi-weekly pay for unclassified staff and propose that staff get paid for unused vacation time.
- Communications and Marketing. No report.
- Nominations / Fundraising. No report.
- University committees
- Athletic Council. No report.
- Dining Services
- Michelle Brasseur is the new Dining Services representative.
- Parking Services. No report.
- Smoking Policy.
- Proposal presented to Cabinet for consideration of intended and unintended consequences.
- If adopted, it has to be a top-down approach.
- Proposal includes e-cigarettes.
- One representative made mention of not being able to easily locate minutes from other group/council meetings.
- Ensure that all University committees are recording minutes.
- Staff Development Day.
- Volunteers for Chair position.
- Sustainability. No report.
- University Diversity Advisory Council. No report.
- Volunteers for new representative
- Wellness and Recreation. No report.
- WSU Bookstore Committee. No report.
- OSCHE (Ohio Staff Council of Higher Education). No report.
Questions or issues from other unclassified staff in attendance?
- USAC Meeting – Thursday, May 8, 2014, 9:00 – 10:30 a.m., E157 Student Union
- Staff Council – Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 2:00 – 4:00 p.m., 267 University Hall
- Wellness Festival – Wednesday, May 7, 2014, 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m., Student Union Atrium
Chair Audwin Jones adjourned the meeting at 10:34 a.m.
USAC: The purpose of the Unclassified Staff Advisory Council(USAC) is to represent its members to the university by: promoting their general welfare; advocating for unclassified staff through active participation in university governance structure; reviewing, initiating and making recommendation on relevant university policies and procedures; encouraging and facilitating communication among members; and encouraging professional development opportunities. One of the prime responsibilities of this council is to serve the educational community by creating and maintaining an environment conducive to the teaching, learning, research, and service functions of higher education. The recommendations of the council are submitted to the University President.