Unclassified Staff Advisory Council
Thursday, March 13, 2014
E156 Student Union
In Attendance: Chris Bethel, Pam Bowers, Misty Cox, Bev Denlinger, Jonathan Jackson, Audwin Jones, Megan McCurdy, Jenny Papadakis, Aaron Skira, Craig This, Sommer Todd, Jeff Wehmeyer.
Absent: David Finnie, Adam Horseman, Steven Johnson, Liane Muhlenkamp, Shiela Nahrgang, Gretchen Rentz, Courtney Smith, Valita Wilhoite.
Guest: Laura Rapoch, Tanya Davis, Melissa Rubins, Julia Acosta.
- Call to Order: Chair Audwin Jones called the meeting to order at 9:00 a.m.
- Approval of minutes: The minutes of the February 13, 2014 meeting were approved.
- Melissa Rubins, Relay for Life
- Friday, April 11, 6pm
- WSU has 33 teams, 206 participants, $6,500 raised so far (a month to go)
- Many ways to support Relay for Life
- Start a team!
- Join a team!
- Come to the event!
- Donate to a team or the event!
- Pre-relay extravaganza on April 10, 2014 at 6:00 p.m.
- Goal is to raise $30,000
- Fundraiser at Raise Your Brush, Wednesday, April 2, 2014, from 6-8:30 p.m. in Centerville
- Could possibly give a tax receipt for donated items
- Staff Development Day Review
- Julia Acosta to present:
Getting to Know WSU
- 173 employees registered
- This was the first year we asked employees to identify unclassified or classified
- 71 classified, 93 unclassified, 2 other, 7 no response
- For those that attended, feedback was very positive
- Next SDD is Thursday, August 7, 2014
- Will keep records for future events to compare
- Encourage attendance and participation
- What would you like to see?
- Need to have participation from senior management
- Experiencing funding issues with regards to the food – cost consistently increasing but the offerings stay the same
- Consider SDD recognition for the unit with the most participation
- Would like to consider stipend compensation for the SDD committee Chairs
- A lot of work and time spent on the event
- Audwin sent letter to Art Neff last week on behalf of the following entities:
- Lake, Student Gov’t, CSAC, and USAC
- Voiced concerns regarding food service
- Quality, Options, Pricing
- Have not received a response
- Will follow-up with Art this week & keep all entities informed
- Open Forum Update
- April 8, 2014, 1pm – 3pm, E156 Student Union Endeavour Room
- Confirmed guests include:
- Dr. Berberich, Associate Provost for Faculty and Staff Affairs
- Peggy Bloom, University Wellness Director
- Shari Mickey-Boggs, Associate Vice President and Chief Human Resources Officer
- Dr. Narayanan, University Provost
- Dr. Polatajko, Vice President for Business and Fiscal Affairs
- Hazel Roundtree, University Ombudsman
- Tom Webb, Director of Disability Services
- Mary Ellen Ashley – Vice President for Enrollment Management
- Qualtrics Survey available to post questions prior to the Open Forum
- Will send questions to presenters so they have an idea as to what will be asked
- Audio/Video confirmed for live broadcast
- Performance Appraisals
- Electronic / automated system in the pipeline
- USAC Elections Update
- Will receive email for nominations
- USAC Facebook
- Craig provided a list of Do/Don’ts
- Created a page, but have it set as private until we decide to publicize it
- Might bring attention to the page at the Open Forum
- Reaches a larger scale and larger market
- Not as young of an audience any more
- Considering to make it a private group for just staff members
- Committee Updates
- USAC subcommittees
- Bylaws and Charter. No report.
- Community Service. No report.
- Compensation, Benefits, and Equity. No report.
- Communications and Marketing. No report.
- Nominations / Fundraising. No report.
- University committees
- Athletic Council. No report.
- Dining Services
- Michelle Brasseur new Dining Services representative
- Parking Services. No report.
- Staff Development Day
- Volunteers for Chair position
- Sustainability. No report.
- University Diversity Advisory Council. No report.
- Volunteers for new representative
- Wellness and Recreation. No report.
- WSU Bookstore Committee. No report.
- OSCHE (Ohio Staff Council of Higher Education)
Questions or issues from other unclassified staff in attendance?
- Staff Open Forum – Tuesday, April 8, 1:00 – 3:00 p.m., E156 Student Union
- Staff Council – Wednesday, April 9, 2014, 2:00 – 4:00 p.m., 267 University Hall
- USAC Meeting – Thursday, April 10, 2014, 9:00 – 10:30 a.m., E157 Student Union
- Relay for Life – Friday, April 11, 2014, 6:00 p.m. – Saturday, April 12, 2014, 6:00 p.m., The Quad
Chair Audwin Jones adjourned the meeting at 10:37am.
USAC: The purpose of the Unclassified Staff Advisory Council(USAC) is to represent its members to the university by: promoting their general welfare; advocating for unclassified staff through active participation in university governance structure; reviewing, initiating and making recommendation on relevant university policies and procedures; encouraging and facilitating communication among members; and encouraging professional development opportunities. One of the prime responsibilities of this council is to serve the educational community by creating and maintaining an environment conducive to the teaching, learning, research, and service functions of higher education. The recommendations of the council are submitted to the University President.