Unclassified Staff Advisory Council
Thursday, October 11, 2012
157 Student Union
Attending: Chris Bethel, David Bringhurst, Mark Hibner, Cheryl Hutchinson, Jonathan Jackson, Audwin Jones, David Finnie, Steven Johnson, Tonya Mathis, Megan McCurdy, Jamie Norris, Jenny Papadakis, Mary Raider, Jacqueline Robinson, Aaron Skira, Courtney Smith, Craig This, Sommer Todd, Cindy Vanzant, Melissa Vanzant, Susan Wehmeyer
Absent with regrets: Wendy Chetcuti, Bev Denlinger, Sheila Nahrgang, Valita Wilhoite
Absent: Marty Jenkins, Susan Kracus, Gretchen Rentz, Chris Wydman
Guests: Helen Dean, Albert Bondurant, Karen Strider- Iiames, Thomas Sudkamp, Tim Littell
- Call meeting to order: Chair Craig This called the meeting to order at 9:00 am
- Approval of minutes from September 13, 2012: The minutes were approved as written
- USAC Issues
- Feedback from the Town Hall Meeting was discussed.
- By-laws and Charter: The proposed addition to the Bylaws regarding tied elections was passed by the voting members of USAC. The Bylaws may now be referred to the University Administration.
- Community Service:
- Raidersgiving received a donation of $100 from Sodexho. The Thanksgiving meal will be served at noon. A volunteer sign-up sheet was circulated. Contact project chair Sommer Todd for more information or to volunteer.
- Compensation, Benefits, & Equity: Performance Reviews
- Guest Albert Bondurant discussed performance reviews. The new form is not mandatory. Use is suggested for the 2012 annual reviews which should be done during the first quarter of 2013.
- Further discussion regarding performance reviews: Some of the resistance to writing performance appraisals may be that they are not seen as valuable. If appraisals are not tied to wage increases, they may be perceived as a waste of time. The first step is to get staff in the habit of doing the appraisals. Appraisals are an essential record for performance improvement, disciplinary action and termination actions.
- Most complaints received by the staff liaison are about supervisors. Many of the staff with complaints have received no regular performance appraisals.
- Two thirds of WSU employees did not receive a performance appraisal last year.
- USAC approved a proposal to 1) request private training for USAC members and those guest attendees present at the meeting of 10/11/12 from Albert Bondurant and 2) to follow the training with further discussion about how USAC might call attention to the need to improve the use of appraisals. The possibility of proposing a goal to Provost for inclusion in the strategic plan will also be discussed. USAC will work with Cheryl Hutchinson (co-chair of Staff Development Day) to including information about performance appraisals in Staff Development Day.
- It was recommended that supervisors go through the development series designed for front-line managers.
- Communications & Marketing: The logo was approved for interim use, but the committee may be asked to revisit the design.
- Nominations & Fundraising: no report
- Staff Development Day: Discussion of survey results
- The planned topic is communication and interaction with different groups of people. Adding information about performance management training is also a possibility.
- University committee updates
- Athletic Council
- Dining Services
- Parking Services
- Semester Conversion
- University Diversity Advocacy Council
- New mission and membership statement is in progress.
- University Staff Council
- Wellness & Recreation
- WSU Bookstore Committee
- Staff Council Human Resources Committee
- Lake Campus
- Guest Speakers: Tim Littell and Thomas Sudkamp
- Student success initiatives and designs for a new building between Hamilton and University Hall were reviewed.
- Questions or issues from other unclassified staff in attendance
- Schedule reminders
- Lake Staff Advisory Council (LSAC)—Wednesday, October 17, 2-3:30 p.m., Room 177
- Health and Benefits Fair—Wednesday, October 24, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Apollo Room
- USAC Officers Meeting—Thursday, November 1, 9-10 a.m., Café Wright (Library)
- USAC Meeting—Thursday, November 8, 9-10:30 a.m., Rathskellar (008 Student Union)
- Guest Speakers: Sol Solomon and Nadine Brown, Raider Connect with Field Trip
- Staff Council—Wednesday, November 14, 2-4 p.m., 267 University Hall
- Adjourn meeting 10:37am
Minutes submitted by Susan Wehmeyer, USAC Secretary