Unclassified Staff Advisory Council
Thursday, September 13, 2012
157 Student Union
Minutes submitted by Susan Wehmeyer, USAC Secretary
- Call meeting to order: Craig This called the meeting to order at 9:00am
- Approval of minutes of August 9, 2012: the minutes were approved as written.
- USAC Issues
- By-laws and Charter report by Megan McCurdy. Proposed amendments/revisions to the by-laws were presented and discussed.
- A motion to accept the recommended language clarifications and the addition of a statement regarding voice votes as recommend by Henry Limouze was approved by USAC.
- The addition of a tie-breaking procedure was discussed and returned to the Bylaws Committee for revision. The revision will be presented in October.
- Community Service “Raidersgiving” and other projects report by Jaime Norris.
- Raidersgiving project needs to establish how many people to be included in the dinner and identify the criteria for inclusion and dietary/cultural food requirements. Resident Assistants are trying to gather information about the students who will remain on campus. Tickets may be required to attend. Student government has not approved any financial support. USAC will be looking for volunteers. A meeting will be held with interested parties next week. Lake Campus has not yet responded.
- Lake Campus has proposed that USAC come north in the spring and help get the gardens ready. Bev Denlinger will bring this suggestion to the Sustainability Committee.
- Compensation, Benefits, & Equity leadership training issues, equity discussion, and staff culture survey report by Craig This.
- The committee discussed using the OSU survey to gauge the culture of WSU staff prior to making recommendations for strategic plan. It was suggested that survey may be too long. Send recommendations for changes in the survey to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Equity issues were discussed for inclusion in USAC goals. A quick Qualtrics survey http://www.wright.edu/research/survey-tool will be used to determine what is meant by equity.
- Leadership issues were discussed. Confusion remains about the role of Human Resources and Organizational Development and Learning. The new Vice President for Multicultural Affairs and Community Engagement may provide some training as well. Note: Kimberly Barrett will attend the USAC/CSAC open forum on 10/9/12.
- Communications & Marketing report by Jonathan Jackson.
- The committee discussed the proposed logo and communication efforts. The committee recommended removal of the design elements outside the circular image. Comments may be sent to email@example.com.
- The committee recommended opening the USAC group in Raider Commons to anyone.
- The committee recommended disseminating the agenda and minutes to the staff listserv and encouraging forwarding. It will be several years before a RSS feed for USAC website is available. Raider Commons however does have that ability.
- Other business: The committee discussed “marketing” ideas for USAC such as including a “ticket” for a prize drawing at the Town Hall meeting as an incentive to both take survey and attend the meeting and publicizing Raidersgiving. Continuing the monthly messages from the chair was recommended.
- Nominations & Fundraising: An opening for a USAC co-chair for Staff Development Day has been advertised on the listserv.
- Town Hall/Open Forum: The joint meeting of USAC and CSAC will be October 9, 2012 from 11:00 to 1:00.
- The possibility of a live, streaming video of the meeting is under investigation.
- Staff will have the option to send in their questions in advance for the Town Hall Meeting
- Chair report: The Provost Search Committee has met. Deadline for first consideration is 12/3. The Strategic Planning Committee has not met. Read the full report for 9/13/12.
- University committee updates
- Athletic Council.
- Dining Services.
- Parking Services.
- Semester Conversion.
- University Diversity Advocacy Council.
- University Staff Council.
- Wellness & Recreation.
- WSU Bookstore Committee: Will meet in October
- Staff Council: cancelled.
- Human Resources Committee.
- Lake Campus.
- Guest Speaker, Bob Grant, Director of Raider Athletics spoke about the upcoming season and took questions from the members.
- Schedule reminders
- Lake Staff Advisory Council (LSAC)—Wednesday, September 19, 2-3:30 p.m., Room 177
- USAC Officers Meeting—Thursday, October 4, 9-10 a.m., Café Wright (Library)
- Staff Open Forum, Tuesday, October 9, 11 a.m.-1 p.m., 156 Student Union
- Staff Council—Wednesday, October 10, 2-4 p.m., 267 University Hall
- USAC Meeting—Thursday, October 11, 9-10:30 a.m.,157 Student Union
- Guest Speakers: Tom Sudkamp and Tim Littell, Student Success Initiative
- Adjourn meeting: the meeting was adjourned at 10:30am.