Unclassified Staff Advisory Council
Thursday, January 10, 2013
157E Student Union
Attending: D.R. Fannin, Jonathan Jackson, Audwin Jones, Jenny Papadakis, Jacqueline Robinson, Aaron Skira, Craig This, Sommer Todd, Cindy Vanzant, Susan Wehmeyer, Tonya Davis, Helen Dean, Bev Denlinger, Steven Johnson, Lee McKarns, Sheila Nahrgang, Jill Puthoff, Mary Raider, Gretchen Rentz, Courtney Smith, Melissa Vanzant
Absent with regrets: David Bringhurst, Jamie Norris, Megan McCurdy, Chris Bethel
Absent: Wendy Chetcuti, David Finnie, Marty Jenkins, Susan Kracus, Valita Wilhoite
Call meeting to order: Chair, Craig This called the meeting to order at 9am
Approval of minutes from December 13, 2012: the minutes were approved as submitted
USAC Logo: Report by Jonathan Jackson
- No feedback has been received since the last presentation of the logo proposal.
- The members approved the use of two proposed logos to be used in varying circumstances. One of the logos has a long, banner-like background.
- The assessment program was discussed. Staff concerns indicate that more and better communication is needed regarding procedures for assessment, how the data will be used and why the university is implementing a wellness program.
- Concerns were raised about future plans for annual assessments.
- A concern was raised about the email that was distributed on the last day before the break. Some staff did not receive the email or accidentally deleted it as a result of the break.
- A concern was raised about the type of questions in the assessment tool and the length of time required to complete the form.
- The University Staff Council requested more information from Human Resources on 1/9/13. HR will issue a follow-up message today.
Smoking Policy Ad Hoc Committee: Report by Craig This.
- Several staff have volunteered to serve on the committee. Craig will announce the USAC selections shortly.
- No additional concerns were raised.
- HR posted Word version of appraisal document on their website at the request of Staff Council.
- Dr. Robert Sweeney will give us an update in February.
- Thoughts on the strategic plan were solicited. USAC concerns seem to be on the administration’s radar and we want to make sure that they remain in the strategic plan.
USAC Staff Open Forum:
- A meeting is planned for April. A time period other than lunchtime is under discussion. Send content and planning ideas to Megan McCurdy. (email@example.com)
- Will be held in the Spring.
- Cindy Vanzant and Susan Kracus will manage the elections process.
University Committee Updates
Athletic Council: Report by Sheila Nahrgang and Courtney Smith
- Staff Appreciation Night will be at the men’s basketball game on January 26th. More details about what is being offered will be forthcoming soon.
Dining Services: Report by Melissa Vanzant
- An RFP has been distributed to potential new vendors.
Parking Services: Report by Steven Johnson
- No meeting has been held since the last update
Semester Conversion: no report
Sustainability: Report by Bev Denlinger
- The new building with contain student support services and interactive learning
- USAC members who were on campus during the winter closure did not encounter reduced temperatures as expected.
University Diversity Advocacy Council: Report by Helen Dean
- The name of this committee has been changed to the University Diversity Advisory Council
- Changes in membership are in process, but USAC representatives will remain
University Staff Council:
- Registrations for Staff Development Day have increased substantially from last year. Plans are underway to videotape some of the sessions
- The summer Staff Development Day is tentatively planned for August 9th.
- The President has asked that 100% of WSU employees receive an evaluation this year. Supervisors who do not complete the required evaluations will not be eligible for merit increases.
- Hourly employees do not need to take leave for their wellness assessment appointments.
WSU Bookstore Committee: no meeting
Staff Council Human Resources Committee: no report
OSCHE: no report
Lake Campus: report by Jill Puthoff
- Lake Campus will also be affected by the dining services contract.
Questions or issues from other unclassified staff in attendance
- No additional information has been received regarding winter leave for 2013. USAC expects that a decision will be announced by the end of the month.
Guest Speakers: George Frey and Melissa Rubins, Relay For Life
- USAC Officers Meeting—Thursday, February 7, 9-10 a.m., Café Wright (Library)
- USAC Meeting—Thursday, February 14, 9-10:30 a.m., E157 Student Union, Guest Speaker: Robert Sweeney, Strategic Planning Update
Adjourn meeting: the meeting was adjourned at 10:30am
USAC: The purpose of the Unclassified Staff Advisory Council(USAC) is to represent its members to the university by: promoting their general welfare; advocating for unclassified staff through active participation in university governance structure; reviewing, initiating and making recommendation on relevant university policies and procedures; encouraging and facilitating communication among members; and encouraging professional development opportunities. One of the prime responsibilities of this council is to serve the educational community by creating and maintaining an environment conducive to the teaching, learning, research, and service functions of higher education. The recommendations of the council are submitted.