Unclassified Staff Advisory Council
Thursday, August 9, 2012
008 Student Union
A) Call meeting to order
B) Approval of minutes from July 12, 2012
C) New business
- Welcome new subcommittee members
- USAC Goals from July meeting
- Disposition of surplus water bottles from fundraising effort
D) USAC in/and the University
- Where USAC fits into the overall scheme of things—David Bringhurst, past chair
E) USAC Issues
- Leadership Training Issues for Unclassified Staff: What training do supervisors need?
- Strategic Plan: Discuss possible objectives for goal #5: “Develop and sustain the human, financial, and physical resources required to accomplish the university’s strategic goals?”
- 2008-2012 Strategic Plan: http://www.wright.edu/aboutwsu/orgs/usac/strategicachieve08to12.pdf
- Should we conduct a staff survey to get feedback prior to the strategic plan?
- Town Hall Meeting(s):
- Split into USAC and CSAC only
F) Information Items:
- Smoking Policy: From staff council, a proposal is being drafted by cabinet in response to the Board of Regents recent decision. The proposal will be sent to faculty senate, CSAC, USAC, and student government for input.
- Health Insurance Refunds: Wright State is self-insured and so the impact of this is being examined by business and fiscal affairs.
G) USAC subcommittee status reports
- Bylaws and Charter.
- Community Service.
- Compensation, Benefits, & Equity.
- Communications & Marketing.
- Nominations & Fundraising.
H) University committee updates
- Athletic Council.
- Dining Services
- Parking Services.
- Semester Conversion.
- University Diversity Advocacy Council
- University Staff Council.
- Wellness & Recreation.
- WSU Bookstore Committee.
- Staff Council Human Resources Committee.
- Lake Campus.
I) Questions or issues from other unclassified staff in attendance
J) Schedule reminders
- Lake Staff Advisory Council (LSAC)—Wednesday, August 15, 2-3:30 p.m., Room 177
- Freshmen Move-In Day—Thursday, August 23, All Day
- Welcome Week—Monday, August 27-Friday, August 31
- USAC Officers Meeting—Thursday, September 6, 9-10 a.m., Café Wright (Library)
- Staff Council—Wednesday, September 12, 2-4 p.m., 267 University Hall
- USAC Meeting—Thursday, September 13, 9-10:30 a.m. (157 Student Union)
Guest Speaker: Bob Grant, Raider Athletics
K) Adjourn meeting
USAC: The purpose of the Unclassified Staff Advisory Council(USAC) is to represent its members to the university by: promoting their general welfare; advocating for unclassified staff through active participation in university governance structure; reviewing, initiating and making recommendation on relevant university policies and procedures; encouraging and facilitating communication among members; and encouraging professional development opportunities. One of the prime responsibilities of this council is to serve the educational community by creating and maintaining an environment conducive to the teaching, learning, research, and service functions of higher education. The recommendations of the council are submitted to the university president.