Thursday, November 10, 2011
157 Student Union
USAC Council Members: David Bringhurst, Audwin Jones, Jennifer McCamis, Megan McCurdy, Jamie Norris, Nancy Pestian, Wendy Riddell, Jacqueline Robinson, Craig This, Cindy Vanzant, Susan Wehmeyer
University Committee Members: Marian Brainerd, Wendy Chetcuti, David Finnie, Colleen Hayden, Mary Healea, Curt Pederson, Courtney Smith, Melissa Vanzant, Valita Wilhoite, Chris Wydman
Absent: Brandy Foster, Jacqueline Neal, Susan D'Autremont, Marty Jenkins, Jill Puthoff, Gretchen Rentz
A) Call meeting to order—Meeting was called to order at 9:02 a.m. by David Bringhurst, USAC Chair
B) Approval of minutes from October 13, 2011 meeting—Minutes were approved as presented.
C) Officer's Report—
- Newsletter: First email communication went out on Nov. 7 and has been well received by the unclassified staff.
- Staff Council Meeting: Members of Staff Council are working on a follow-up survey to the one that was conducted in 2008. They are asking for feedback from the administration regarding their thoughts on where we stand on the recommendations that came from the last survey. CSAC and USAC chairs were invited to Faculty Senate earlier this week to introduce themselves. Interesting report on student access, success and retention is linked on the faculty senate website (also available here: http://www.wright.edu/administration/senate/senage/documents/AccessProgressSuccessReport.pdf). Please look at this report and send any feedback to David.
D) USAC subcommittee status reports
- Bylaws and Charter—Nothing to report at this time. May not have draft language until January.
- Community Service—The Big Read event went well and several USAC members read during the event.
- Compensation, Benefits, and Equity
- Communications & Marketing—Nothing to report at this time.
- Nominations & Fundraising—Nothing to report at this time.
E) University committee updates
- Athletic Council—Per NCAA regulations, the university will now provide each full-ride scholarship student with an additional $2,000. The council is hoping to have some directional signage to Rinzler Complex installed around campus.
- Dining Services
- Parking Services—Trying to find ways to encourage people to park in remote lots…additional shuttles, incentives, possibly extending shuttle services to apartment communities so that students in those areas will not have to drive to campus, etc. If anyone has any ideas, please send information to Colleen Hayden.
- Semester Conversion—Academic Calendar for 2012–2013 has been approved and will be published soon. Tuition remission for faculty/staff has been approved for up to 8 credit hours. Curriculum has been approved. Advising component is in place and website (www.wright.edu/semesters/advising) is live. A reporting group is also being developed.
- Sustainability—Meeting later this month.
- University Diversity Advocacy Council—Nothing to report.
- University Staff Council—Nothing to report.
- Wellness & Recreation—Nothing to report.
- WSU Bookstore Committee—Meeting was this week. Holiday sale is first Friday in December. Emails will be sent out soon.
- Staff Council Human Resources Committee—Meeting scheduled for Nov. 16. Online leave approval for unclassified staff is being tested.
- OSCHE—No one from Wright State was able to attend recent meeting. Trying to find a way to teleconference in to the far away meetings, but not sure if it will happen.
- Lake Campus—Nothing to report.
F) Unfinished business
- Bereavement leave proposal from CBES—Would like to propose that Wright State create a bereavement leave policy which states that an employee will be granted paid leave of absence for up to 3 consecutive days following the death of a current immediate family member. Supervisor may request proof before approving leave. Definition of current immediate family should be consistent with current sick leave policy (add nieces and nephews and grandparent in-laws to sick leave policy, if possible). This would be in addition to the 5 days of sick leave that is currently allowed by the university. The CBES subcommittee will finalize language before next USAC meeting and USAC officers will take the issue to Staff Council in December.
- Performance appraisal feedback—Forty-seven percent of Wright State staff have received a performance appraisal, but it doesn’t speak to the quality of the appraisal. Albert Bondurant has asked for input on the proposed appraisal forms. Several issues/questions were raised during USAC meeting. Additional questions/comments should be sent to David before Thanksgiving break and we hope to have Albert attend the next USAC meeting to address our questions/concerns.
G) New business
- What is the communication policy when changes are made to the Wright State Policy? What should our role be in this? The USAC officers will bring this up at the next Staff Council meeting.
- We Serve U is looking for an unclassified staff member to join. See Jen McCamis if you are interested.
H) Questions or issues from other unclassified staff in attendance—No guests in attendance.
I) Schedule reminders
- Staff Development Day—Wednesday, November 30, 2011
- Next USAC Meeting—Thursday, December 8, 2011 in 008 Student Union
J) Adjourn meeting—Meeting was adjourned at 10:28 a.m. by David Bringhurst, USAC Chair.