Thursday, June 14, 2012
008 Student Union
USAC Council Members:David Bringhurst, Jennifer McCamis, Megan McCurdy, Jamie Norris, Wendy Riddell, Craig This, Cindy Vanzant, Susan Wehmeyer
New Council Members: Tonya Mathis, Sommer Todd
University Committee Members: Colleen Hayden, Jill Puthoff, Mary Raider, Melissa Vanzant
Guest(s): Teresa Kramer
Absent:Audwin Jones, Jacqueline Neal, Nancy Pestian, Jacqueline Robinson, Marian Brainerd, Wendy Chetcuti, Susan D’Autremont, David Finnie, Marty Jenkins, Gretchen Rentz, Courtney Smith, Valita Wilhoite, Chris Wydman
A) Call meeting to order—Meeting was called to order at 9:03 a.m., by David Bringhurst, USAC chair
B) Approval of minutes from May 10 meeting—Minutes were approved as presented.
C) Officer's report
- Bylaws—Henry Limouze recommends two minor changes to the approved bylaws. Once the bylaws committee decides what they would like to do regarding the changes, Limouze will recommend to the president that the updated bylaws be approved.
- Update on Town Hall follow-up—Message will be going out today with progress updates for the issues that were brought up during the Town Hall meeting. We hope that this will be a regular communication that is sent out to staff in the future.
- Update from recent Staff Council meeting—Robert Sweeney has asked that if anyone sees anything inappropriate (in relation to processes) going out on Wright State’s behalf, via email or mailed letters, please bring it to the attention of Craig or someone from USAC. University Council proposal will be adjusted and presented to individual staff councils for discussion and approval before it goes to faculty. Staff Council Human Resources Subcommittee is being reviewed for possible revision of purpose.
- Strategic planning—Nothing new to report. Plan to get staff involved in the planning, but the process will probably not begin until next year.
- Report on Provost review—There were 229 staff and 99 faculty that responded to the Provost review survey. The final report was presented to the Board of Trustees and should be released publically after approval.
D) Other business
- Welcome new USAC members—Five people were elected (4-3 year and 1-1 year). Although elected, Patrick Kachurek will not be serving and Jonathan Jackson will be taking over Brandy Foster’s remaining term.
- Final report/year in review—David Bringhurst, outgoing USAC chair, gave a brief overview of the accomplishments of the year.
- Outgoing USAC members (Nancy Pestian, Jen McCamis, Wendy Riddell) were recognized for their service on USAC and were presented with plaques. Mary Raider was also thanked for her many years of service on the committee.
- First comments from incoming chair, Craig This—Craig gave a brief overview of what he expects to do in the coming year and presented the meeting schedule for the upcoming year.
E) New business
- Elections for chair-elect and secretary-elect—Megan McCurdy was nominated and elected as secretary-elect for 2012-2013. Audwin Jones was nominated for chair-elect, but was not present at the meeting and could neither accept nor deny his nomination. The election of chair-elect was tabled until the July meeting.
F) USAC subcommittee status reports
- Bylaws and Charter—Nothing new to report.
- Community Service—Nothing new to report.
- Compensation, Benefits, & Equity—Nothing new to report.
- Communications & Marketing—Nothing new to report.
- Nominations & Fundraising—Nothing new to report.
G) University committee updates
- Athletic Council—Nothing new to report.
- Dining Services
- Parking Services—Nothing new to report.
- Semester Conversion—Nothing new to report.
- Sustainability—Nothing new to report.
- University Diversity Advocacy Council
- University Staff Council—Nothing new to report.
- Wellness & Recreation—Nothing new to report.
- WSU Bookstore Committee—Nothing new to report.
- Staff Council Human Resources Committee—Nothing new to report.
- OSCHE—Nothing new to report.
- Lake Campus—Nothing new to report.
H) Questions or issues from other unclassified staff in attendance
I) Schedule reminders
- Faculty, staff, retiree picnic—Thursday, June 21
- USAC meeting—Thursday, July 12
- Staff Development Day—Friday, July 20
J) Adjourn meeting—Meeting was adjourned at 10:10 a.m., by Craig This, incoming USAC chair