November 10, 2010
9:00 - 10:30 am
264 Brehm Lab
Jacqui Neal, John Holm, Melissa Vanzant, Colleen Hayden, Curt Pederson, Brandy Foster, Liane Mulhenkamp, Jerry Hensley, Nancy Pestian, David Bringhurst, Craig This, Kary Brigger, Calvin Robinson, Jen McCamis, David Finnie, Wendy Riddell, Mary Healea, Susan Wehmeyer, and 2 other guests-DeAnne French-Bev Grunden
A. Call to Order
The meeting was called to order by Jacqui Neal, USAC Chair, at
B. Approval of Minutes for October 14, 2010.
The minutes were approved as
C) USAC Subcommittee Reports
- Community Service - Susan Wehmeyer, Jen McCamis, Jacqui Neal, Curt Pederson- Talked about taking donations for the Food Pantry for the December meeting and the theme for Staff Development Day will be aquring donations for the food pantry – We Serve U is still under review with Provost
- Compensation, Benefits, & Equity - Jacqueline Robinson, David Bringhurst, Denise Anderson, Kiel Rottgen, Jason Kohlhepp, Jerry Hensley, Mary Healea- Elected new chair –Met with Henry 3 weeks ago and have a new draft of the letter; and had a meeting yesterday with the letter going through another round of edits and then USAC will approve before going back to Henry again
- Newsletter / Marketing - Jamie Norris, Wendy Riddell, Kary Brigger-Draft of Fall 2010 newsletter out there for USAC approval; once approved by USAC we will move forward with getting it out WINGS
- Nominations / Fundraising - Brandy Foster, Jen McCamis, Denise Anderson, Kiel Rottgen, Chris Wydman -must meet with Communication and Marketing before going ahead.
D) University Committee Reports
- Athletic Council - Calvin Robinson, David Finnie –Oct 29 they had a meeting early in the morning- Dr. Cory Ellis spoke who is the doctor for the athletes; academic affairs committee put out a report for athletes and their gpas- over a 3.0 which is just above the overall gpa of the university – Blackboard to Backboard – encourage faculty and staff to attend basketball games – incentives to get more faculty-staff to games; 5 year plan- trying to get a track outside; will take awhile to get that accomplished – a big community service project for athletes, building bikes, toy drive, canned food drive, Halloween hoops, and more others; athletics directors report – highlighting Presidents awards for excellence at the mens basketball game; spoke briefly about student athletes and being stressed out- anyway that there could be some flexibility with practices and their schedules?
- University Diversity Advocacy Council - Megan Watson (out on maternity leave; return in January)
- Parking Services - John Holm, Colleen Hayden – no meeting
- Semester Conversion - Chris Wydman -not present at meeting
- Sustainability - Karen Strider-Iiames –not present at meeting but The Fall meeting of the Sustainability Advisory Council will be held Wednesday, November 17, from 2:30-4:00 p.m. in 264 Brehm Lab.
For information on sustainability efforts at Wright State, visit http://www.wright.edu/sustainability/
- University Dining Services - Melissa Vanzant – October meeting minutes- Filled vacancy’s with Sodexho – Katie Sheehan is the new director; Andrew Deckert – new marketing manager; lots of promotions going on-see minutes; Food for Thought- newsletter that will go out monthly to listserv and website; Tour of north America theme for food; helping hands across America – oct 25-nov 19 WSU food pantry – donation boxes in union, hangar and cstore – dining services has a new website-updated weekly menu and nutrition guide; lake campus dining did enter a contract with Sodexho and major renovations will complete by January; still looking at catering policy and still under review - next meeting is Nov. 18 at 1:30.
- Wellness and Recreation - Craig This, Marian Hogue –meeting today no real updates
- WSU Bookstore- Mary Healea –nookstudy (nookstudy.com/college) book study- 3000% increase in digital books, but still most people prefer hard copies; where does text book $ go? Flyer that was handed out; new web enhanced book purchasing website when you register for class- lists ALL the options; Dec 3 – faculty staff fair – 25% off on all regular and clearance items.; lake campus bookstore-barnes and nobles will be taking over in June
- WSU Staff Council - Jacqueline Neal, Mary Healea, Kary Brigger, Curt Pederson, David Bringhurst –meeting is today at 3:00; discussions at meeting today will include perfomance mgt process is an agenda item; budget 101 is a possible workshop that we could offer with budget at different times of the year to increase awareness of what is going on; staff training; staff day
- WSU Human Resources Committee - Jacqueline Neal, Nancy Pestian, Curt Pederson, David Bringhurst –have not met- December meeting
- OSCHE - Curt Pederson –Oct. 29 was the meeting; 10 member schools of OSCHE-8 of the 10 schools were at the meeting; schools talk about current issues going on; Miami and BGSU talked about layoffs after the first of the year; Toledo possibly as well; Columbus State possibly going to a union base for staff; Dr. Hopkins kicked off the meeting; important for all schools to collaborate; recruitment for non-member schools was a huge conversation during the meeting; working on different templates of all the schools benefits be on the OSCHE website; next meeting is January 28 at Miami Middletown
- Lake Campus - Gretchen Rentz, Liane Muhlenkamp –Liane talked about bookstore sale Nov 15-Jan 1 – 25% off everything; made $50 profit during the lunch serving; had an election day lunch and dinner serving; Sodexho coming on campus is a very exciting thing; how full is your bucket philosophy- everyone works better with a full bucket; motivation to get your bucket full- Lake Campus is going to have their own Staff Development Day – Nancy Jane Smith a possible speaker; next staff meeting for lake is Dec. 6 and Dec. 20; possible Spring meeting up there – 1st and 3rd Monday of every month
E) Other Business
- General Announcements - Congrats to Megan and family for their new addition, Curt and his new granddaughter, and Kary for the upcoming baby
- Open Health Enrollment -going on now through Dec. 3– starting Nov 15 – Dec 1 will have information sessions going on – packets should be going out this week – a truly complete packet with much better information going out to everyone-kudos to them for clarifying the terms of what our benefits entail
- Staff Development Day – We Serve U – 3 sessions in the morning that will last all morning – presentation and then a hands on project; blue star mothers- letters to solders – blood bank; afternoon – non profit organization- Dr. Hopkins will be the lunch speaker – Nov 30
F) Additional Topics
- Bev Grunden and DeAnne French (guests) works half-time – wants a proposal to have some kind of discount for tuition- right now they get nothing; maybe have some kind sliding fee scale – if you work 50% time then you get a 50% discount; not going to be a benefit to a huge number (40) of employees, but definitely a concern for a few; start with employee and then maybe trickle down to spouses and dependents; also brings in $ for university instead of a different school since it’s cheaper; Jacqui will bring to Staff Council;
The meeting was adjourned by Jacqui Neal, USAC Chair, at 9:51 a.m.
G) Next Meeting -Thursday, December 09, 2010, 9:00 am in 264 Brehm Lab